Spectral Colour Differences through Interpolation
The existing spectral colour difference metrics are not similar to CIEDE2000. The goal in this study was to implement a system to calculate the difference of spectral colours so that the calculated differences are similar to CIEDE2000 colour differences. The developed system is based on a priori calculated differences between known spectra and the calculus parameters derived from them. With the current system one can calculate spectral differences between a limited set of spectra which are derived by mixing the known spectra. The computation of calculus parameters for the system is a demanding process, and therefore, the calculations were distributed to a cluster of computers. The proposed spectral difference metric is very similar to CIEDE2000 for most of the test spectra. In addition, the metric shows non-zero differences for metameric spectra although CIEDE2000 colour difference metric results in zero differences. This indicates more correct operation of the spectral difference than the operation of CIEDE2000 colour difference.
KeywordsRemote Sensing Rosen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bianco, S., Colombo, A., Gasparini, F., Schettini, R., Zuffi, S.: Applications of Spectral Imaging and Reproduction to Cultural Heritage. In: Stanco, F., Battiato, S., Gallo, G. (eds.) Digital Imaging for Cultural Heritage Preservation, pp. 183–209. Taylor & Francis Group (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Imai, F.H., Rosen, M.R., Berns, R.S.: Comparative study of metrics for spectral match quality. In: First European Conference on Colour in Graphics, Imaging, and Vision, CGIV 2002, Poitiers, Ranska, April 2-5, pp. 492–496 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Lillesand, T.M., Kiefer, R.W.: Remote Sensing and Image Interpretation, 4th edn. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Spectral color research, spectral database. University of Eastern Finland, http://www.uef.fi/fi/spectral/spectral-database/ (accessed: June 7, 2013)
- 10.Taipale, J., Kaarna, A.: Color Differences in Spectral Space: Clustering for MRA with CIEDE2000 Compatibility. In: The Fourth International Workshop on Image Media Quality and its Applications, IMQA 2011, Kyoto, Japani, October 4-5, p. 6 (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Viggiano, J.A.S.: Metrics for Evaluating Spectral Matches: A Quantitative Comparison. In: Second European Conference on Colour in Graphics, Imaging, and Vision, CGIV 2004, Aachen, Saksa, April 5-8, pp. 286–291 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Wyszecki, G., Stiles, W.S.: Color Science: Consepts and Methods, Quantitative Data and Formulae, 2nd edn. A Wiley-Interscience Publication (2000)Google Scholar