Exploring the Potential of Gameful Interaction Design of ICT for the Elderly
Due to increasing technologization and demographic changes, more and more elderly people are facing the challenge of using information and communication technology (ICT). ICT can be an essential facilitator for positive aging by promoting the participation of elderly in society, as well as activating their cognitive and motoric resources. However, elderly people often struggle to use technical devices and therefore miss the benefits of digital age. Feelings of helplessness and fear towards technology are often reinforced by previous experiences that have been perceived as frustrating. We believe that adding game elements to an ICT application can overcome some of the motivational barriers which older adults face by providing pleasurable experiences and hedonic value to the interaction with technology.
In the course of focus groups older adults appeared to be very open towards gameful interaction design. Through an extensive interview study which we conducted subsequently, we investigated the potential advantages and requirements of this approach and whether it is to be used to assist the elderly.
Keywordsgamification games serious games elderly people motivation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Deterding, S., Khaled, R., Nacke, L.E., Dixon, D.: Gamification: Toward a Definition. In: CHI Workshop Gamification, May 7-12 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Gerling, K.M., Masuch, M.: Exploring the Potential of Gamification Among Frail Elderly Persons. In: CHI Workshop Gamification, May 7-12 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Korhonen, H., Montola, M., Arrasvuori, J.: Understanding playful user experience through digital games. In: Proc. of DPPI 2009, October 13-16, pp. 274–285 (2009), https://research.nokia.com/files/p274%20-%20Korhonen.pdf
- 6.Mayring, P.: Qualitative Inhaltsanalyse. Grundlagen und Techniken, 11th edn. Deutscher Studien Verlag, Weinheim (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Pohlmeyer, A.E.: Identifying Attribute Importance in Early Product Development. Exemplified by Interactive Technologies and Age. Berlin Institute of Technology (March 23, 2012), http://opus4.kobv.de/opus4-tuberlin/frontdoor/index/index/docId/3274
- 8.Sawyer, B.: The “Serious Games” Landscape. Instructional and Research Technologies Symposium for the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences (March 21, 2007), http://internet2.rutgers.edu/pres/speaker6-sawyer-final.ppt