An Automatic and Innovative Approach for Converting Pedagogical Text Documents to Visual Learning Object
In this paper, we present a novel idea of converting pedagogical text documents to visual learning objects by automatically extracting nouns and semantic keywords from the text documents, and representing these keywords as a word cloud. A word cloud contains words that are weighted based on frequency, time, appearance, etc., depending on the concept they are used for. Each word in the word cloud would correspond to a visual representation of that word. A visual representation may contain drawings, figures, images, etc. that explains the given concept. The extracted keywords are used to query the Internet to find the corresponding visual representation of a given word. The idea is to bring text documents to life by creating a visual representation of the important concepts from the text documents. This paper is a work in progress.
Keywordspedagogic text documents visual learning object word cloud
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Burmark, L.: Visual Literacy: Learn to See, See to Learn. Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, p. 115 (2002) ISBN 0871206404, ISSN 978087120640Google Scholar
- 3.Hyerle, D.: Visual Tools for Transforming Information into Knowledge, 2nd edn., Corwin (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Qiu, Y., Guan, G., Zhiyong, W., Feng, D.A.: Improving News Video Annotation with Semantic Context. In: Proceedings of the 2010 International Conference on Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications, DICTA 2010, pp. 214–219. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Li, H., Tian, Y., Ye, B., Cai, Q.: Comparison of Current Semantic Similarity Methods in WordNet. In: International Conference on Computer Application and System Modeling (ICCASM), October 22-24, vol. 4, pp. V4-408–V4-411 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Agirre, E., Edmonds, P.: Word Sense Disambiguation: Algorithms and Applications. Text, Speech and Language Technology, vol. 33, XXII (2006) ISBN 978-1-4020-4809-8Google Scholar