Biomechanics Investigation of Skillful Technician in Spray-up Fabrication Method
Spray up fabrication has been used for forming composite structures since ancient times as it can be performed as long as the mold, skills, and materials are available. Hence highly specialized control technique and the tradition of skill are required to ensure the consistent stability of product quality. In this study, the authors thus conducted a motion analysis experiment using hand lay-up fabrication experts as subjects. The experiment, seemingly a new and only attempt in Japan, quantified techniques that are not visibly apparent and considered to be tacit knowledge. The dimension stability of samples was measured, and their relationships with the motions of experts were also evaluated. It was also suggested that highly specialized control techniques, the appropriate training of non-experts, and technical tradition are possible.
KeywordsSpray up fabrication Dimension stability Motion analysis Composites Explicit knowledge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kikuchi, T., Koyanagi, T., Hamada, H., Nakai, A., Takai, Y., Goto, A., Fujii, Y., Narita, C., Endo, A., Koshino, T.: Biomechanics investigation of skillful technician in hand lay up fabrication method. In: The ASME 2012 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, Houston, Texas, USA, p. 288 (2012) IMECE2012-86270Google Scholar
- 2.Zhang, Z., Yang, Y., Hamada, H.: Mechanical property of glass mat composite with open hole. In: The ASME 2012 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, Houston, Texas, USA, p. 79 (2012) IMECE2012-87270Google Scholar
- 3.Shirato, M., Kume, M., Ohnishi, A., Nakai, A., Sato, H., Maki, M., Yoshida, T.: Analysis of daubing motion in the clay wall craftsman: Influence on several kinds of clay with different fermentation period on the daubing motion properties. In: Symposium on Sports Engineering: Symposium on Human Dynamics 2007, Japan, pp. 254–257 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Kikuchi, T., Hamada, H., Nakai, A., Ohtani, A., Goto, A., Takai, Y., Endo, A., Narita, C., Koshino, T., Fudauchi, A.: Relationships between Degree of Skill, Dimension stability and Mechanical Properties of Composites Structure in Hand Lay-Up Method. In: The 19th International Conference on Composite Materials, Montreal, Canada, pp. 8034–8042 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Kikuchi, T., Fudauchi, A., Koshino, T., Narita, C., Endo, A., Hamada, H.: Mechanical Property of CFRP by carbon Spray up method. In: The ASME 2013 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, San Diego, California, USA, p. 63 (2013) IMECE2013-64144Google Scholar