Short Review of Dimensionality Reduction Methods Based on Stochastic Neighbour Embedding
Dimensionality reduction methods aimed at preserving the data topology have shown to be suitable for reaching high-quality embedded data. In particular, those based on divergences such as stochastic neighbour embedding (SNE). The big advantage of SNE and its variants is that the neighbor preservation is done by optimizing the similarities in both high- and low-dimensional space. This work presents a brief review of SNE-based methods. Also, a comparative analysis of the considered methods is provided, which is done on important aspects such as algorithm implementation, relationship between methods, and performance. The aim of this paper is to investigate recent alternatives to SNE as well as to provide substantial results and discussion to compare them.
KeywordsDimensionality reduction divergences similarity stochastic neighbor embedding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Borg, I.: Modern multidimensional scaling: Theory and applications. Springer (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Hinton, G.E., Roweis, S.T.: Stochastic neighbor embedding. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, pp. 833–840 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Van der Maaten, L., Hinton, G.: Visualizing data using t-sne. Journal of Machine Learning Research 9(2579-2605), 85 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Lee, J.A., Renard, E., Bernard, G., Dupont, P., Verleysen, M.: Type 1 and 2 mixtures of kullback-leibler divergences as cost functions in dimensionality reduction based on similarity preservation. Neurocomputing (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Carreira-Perpinán, M.A.: The elastic embedding algorithm for dimensionality reduction. In: ICML, vol. 10, pp. 167–174 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Vladymyrov, M., Carreira-Perpiñán, M.Á.: Partial-hessian strategies for fast learning of nonlinear embeddings. CoRR, abs/1206.4646 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Nene, S.A., Nayar, S.K., Murase, H.: Columbia object image library (coil-20). Dept. Comput. Sci., Columbia Univ., New York, 62 (1996), http://www.cs.columbia.edu/CAVE/coil-20.html
- 14.Yu, S.X., Shi, J.: Multiclass spectral clustering. In: Proceedings of the Ninth IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 313–319. IEEE (2003)Google Scholar