Affording Creativity and New Media Possibilities
Developers compete to design the computational commodity with the most user-friendly interface. While this allows massification, it also defines boundaries. In operating these devices, users are afforded little creative freedom. We do well to question a technology that is not conducive to freedom. By no means should our interactions with computers force us into robotic submission. Following commands unreflectingly only serves to dull the mind. On the other hand, designing programs that allow users to decide over operational parameters serves to point the direction to human technological freedom. They share a common approach to the object, which should adjust to the body as the body does to it, in a reciprocal alliance that responds to particular situations. In addition, DIY and studio art practices afford the necessary skills and mindsets for sensible HCI and yield us the power to optimize our chances of designing a world defined by openness.
KeywordsAffordance Creativity Skill Development Coupling Embodiment Disembodiment DIY Frugal Innovation Studio Art Modular Design Openness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wands, B.: A Timeline of Digital Art and Technology. Art of the Digital Age, pp. 210–211. Thames & Hudson, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Dourish, P.: Where the Action is: The Foundations of Embodied Interaction. The MIT Press, Cambridge (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Watson, M., Elizabeth, S.: Products, Competence and Meaning in the Practices of DIY, Paper, European Sociological Association Torun 2005, Poland (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Ernesto Oroza-Technological Disobedience, http://www.ernestooroza.com/category/technological-disobedience-project/
- 6.Cuba’s DIY Inventions from 30 years of Isolation, http://wn.com/exact/MotherboardTV
- 7.Zoie So- Art Laboratory, http://www.zoieart.com
- 8.McCullough, M.: Digital Ground: Architecture, Pervasive Computing, and Environmental Knowing. The MIT Press, Cambridge (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Phonebloks, https://phonebloks.com/en