A Multimodal Conversational Agent for Personalized Language Learning
Conversational agents have became a strong alternative to enhance educational systems with intelligent communicative capabilities. In this paper, we describe a multimodal conversational agent that facilitates an independent and user-adapted second language learning. The different modules of the system cooperate to interact with students using spoken natural language and visual modalities, and adapt their functionalities taking into account their evolution and specific preferences. The results of a preliminary evaluation show that users’ satisfaction with the system was high, as well as the perceived didactic potential and adaptive functionalities.
KeywordsMultimodal conversational agents e-learning educative technology natural language processing.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pieraccini, R.: The Voice in the Machine: Building Computers that Understand Speech. The MIT Press (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Pon-Barry, H., Schultz, K., Bratt, E.O., Clark, B., Peters, S.: Responding to student uncertainty in spoken tutorial dialog systems. Int. Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education 16, 171–194 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Wang, Y., Wang, W., Huang, C.: Enhanced Semantic Question Answering System for e-Learning Environment. In: Proc. AINAW, pp. 1023–1028 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Fryer, L., Carpenter, R.: Bots as Language Learning Tools. Language Learning and Technology 10(3), 8–14 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Cavazza, M., de la Camara, R.S., Turunen, M.: How Was Your Day? a Companion ECA. In: Proc. AAMAS 2010, pp. 1629–1630 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Griol, D., Molina, J., Sanchis, A., Callejas, Z.: A Proposal to Create Learning Environments in Virtual Worlds Integrating Advanced Educative Resources. Journal of Universal Computer Science 18(18), 2516–2541 (2012)Google Scholar