Marky: A Lightweight Web Tracking Tool for Document Annotation
Document annotation is an elementary task in the development of Text Mining applications, notably in defining the entities and relationships that are relevant to a given domain. Many annotation software tools have been implemented. Some are particular to a Text Mining framework while others are typical stand-alone tools. Regardless, most development efforts were driven to basic functionality, i.e. performing the annotation, and to interface, making sure operation was intuitive and visually appellative. The deployment of large-scale annotation jamborees and projects showed the need for additional features regarding inter- and intra-annotation management. Therefore, this paper presents Marky, a new Web-based document annotation tool that integrates a highly customisable annotation environment with a robust project management system. Novelty lays on the annotation tracking system, which supports per user and per round annotation change tracking and thus, enables automatic annotation correction and agreement analysis.
KeywordsText mining document annotation annotation guidelines interannotator agreement Web application
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Miner, G.: Practical Text Mining and Statistical Analysis for Non-structured Text Data Applications. Academic Press (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Cunningham, H., Maynard, D., Bontcheva, K., Tablan, V., Aswani, N., Roberts, I., Gorrell, G., Funk, A., Roberts, A., Damljanovic, D., Heitz, T., Greenwood, M.A., Saggion, H., Petrak, J., Li, Y., Peters, W.: Text Processing with GATE, Version 6 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Campos, D., Lourenço, J., Nunes, T., Vitorino, R., Domingues, P.S.M., Oliveira, J.L.: Egas - Collaborative Biomedical Annotation as a Service. In: Fourth BioCreative Challenge Evaluation Workshop, pp. 254–259 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Wei, C.-H., Kao, H.-Y., Lu, Z.: PubTator: A web-based text mining tool for assisting biocuration. Nucleic Acids Res. 41, W518–22 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Iglesias, M.: CakePHP 1.3 Application Development Cookbook. Packt Publishing (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Brants, T.: Inter-annotator agreement for a German newspaper corpus. In: Second International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, LREC 2000 (2000)Google Scholar