Faster Batch Verification of Standard ECDSA Signatures Using Summation Polynomials
Several batch-verification algorithms for original ECDSA signatures are proposed for the first time in AfricaCrypt 2012. Two of these algorithms are based on the naive idea of taking square roots in the underlying fields, and the others perform symbolic manipulation to verify small batches of ECDSA signatures. In this paper, we use elliptic-curve summation polynomials to design a new ECDSA batch-verification algorithm which is theoretically and experimentally much faster than the symbolic algorithms of AfricaCrypt 2012. Our experiments on NIST prime and Koblitz curves demonstrate that our proposed algorithm increases the optimal batch size from seven to nine. We also mention how our algorithm can be adapted to Edwards curves.
KeywordsElliptic Curve ECDSA Batch Verification Summation Polynomial Koblitz Curve Edwards Curve EdDSA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Bernstein, D.J., Lange, T.: Explicit-formulas database (2007), http://www.hyperelliptic.org/EFD/
- 8.Cohen, H., Frey, G., Avanzi, R., Doche, C., Lange, T., Nguyen, K., Vercauteren, F.: Handbook of elliptic and hyperelliptic curve cryptography. CRC Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Karati, S., Das, A., Roychowdhury, D.: Using randomizers for batch verification of ECDSA signatures, IACR Cryptology ePrint Archive (2012), http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/582
- 17.NIST: Digital Signature Standard (DSS), http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts/fips_186-3/Draft-FIPS-186-3
- 18.NIST: Secure Hash Standard, SHS (2007), http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts/fips_180-3/draft_fips-180-3_June-08-2007.pdf
- 19.NIST: Recommended elliptic curves for federal government use (1999), http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/toolkit/documents/dss/NISTReCur.pdf
- 20.PARI Group: PARI/GP Home (2003-2013), http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/
- 21.Semaev, I.: Summation polynomials and the discrete logarithm problem on elliptic curves (2004), http://eprint.iacr.org/2004/031
- 22.Solinas, J.A.: Improved algorithms for arithmetic on anomalous binary curves, Combinatorics and Optimization Research Report CORR 99-46, University of Waterloo (1999), http://www.cacr.math.uwaterloo.ca/techreports/1999/corr99-46.ps