A Computer Assisted Planning System for the Placement of sEEG Electrodes in the Treatment of Epilepsy
Approximately 20–30% of patients with focal epilepsy are medically refractory and may be candidates for curative surgery. Stereo EEG is the placement of multiple depth electrodes into the brain to record seizure activity and precisely identify the area to be resected. The two important criteria for electrode implantation are accurate navigation to the target area, and avoidance of critical structures such as blood vessels. In current practice neurosurgeons have no assistance in the planning of the electrode trajectories.
To provide assistance a real-time solution was developed that first identifies the potential entry points by analysing the entry-angle, then computes the associated risks for trajectories starting from these locations. The entry angle, the total length of the trajectory and distances to critical structures are presented in an interactive way that is integrated with standard electrode placement planning tools and advanced visualisation. We show that this improves the planning of intracranial implantation, with safer trajectories in less time.
KeywordsDeep Brain Stimulation Entry Point Target Point Critical Structure Focal Epilepsy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sirven, J.I., Pedley, T.A., Wilterdink, J.L.: Evaluation and management of drug-resistant epilepsy (2011), http://www.uptodate.com/contents/evaluation-and-management-of-drugresistant-epilepsy (accessed November 22, 2013)
- 3.Olivier, A., Boling, W.W., Tanriverdi, T.: Techniques in epilepsy surgery: the MNI approach. Cambridge University Press (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Shamir, R.R., Tamir, I., Dabool, E., Joskowicz, L., Shoshan, Y., Jonnagaddala, J., Li, J., Ray, P.: A method for planning safe trajectories in image-guided keyhole neurosurgery. In: Jiang, T., Navab, N., Pluim, J.P.W., Viergever, M.A. (eds.) MICCAI 2010, Part III. LNCS, vol. 6363, pp. 457–464. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Herghelegiu, P.-C., Manta, V., Perin, R., Bruckner, S., Gröller, E.: Biopsy Planner–Visual Analysis for Needle Pathway Planning in Deep Seated Brain Tumor Biopsy. In: Computer Graphics Forum, pp. 1085–1094. Wiley Online Library (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Rincon, M., Navkar, N., Tsekos, N., Deng, Z.: GPU-Accelerated Interactive Visualization and Planning of Neurosurgical Interventions (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Lauterbach, C., Garland, M., Sengupta, S., Luebke, D., Manocha, D.: Fast BVH construction on GPUs. In: Computer Graphics Forum, pp. 375–384. Wiley Online Library (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Karras, T.: Maximizing parallelism in the construction of BVHs, octrees, and k-d trees. In: Proceedings of the Fourth ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics conference on High-Performance Graphics, pp. 33–37. Eurographics Association (2012)Google Scholar