The GPII Unified Listing
Individuals with disabilities are often unable to find assistive technology that meets their needs. While different databases of assistive technologies currently exist, individuals with disabilities are not aware of all of them and unable to take advantage of them. The Global Public Inclusive Infrastructure (GPII) Unified Listing’s objectives are 1) to create a single unified listing, that covers not only assistive technologies that relate to accessing ICT but also includes access features built directly in to main-stream ICT as well. 2) to create an open marketplace of accessible and personalizable solutions. The unified listing will be bidirectionally federated with databases such as EASTIN. Development of a method to harmonize and federate the data contained in the different databases is complete and work is underway to create a mechanism to extract information relevant to ICT access from the federated data.
KeywordsFederated databases EASTIN accessibility assistive technologies access technologies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.WebAIM. Screen Reader User Survey #4 Results (2012), http://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey4/ (March 2, 2014)
- 2.AbleData (2012), http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm (March 2, 2014)
- 3.EASTIN. What is EASTIN (2014), http://www.eastin.eu/en-GB/whatIsEastin/index
- 4.Interational Standards Organization, ISO 9999:2011 Assistive products for persons with disability – Classification and terminology (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.OATS Consortium, Open Source Assistive Technology Software (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.AEGIS Consortium. Open Accessibility Everywhere Group (OAEG). n.d. (March 2, 2014), http://www.oaeg.eu/
- 7.Mobile Manufacturers Forum. Global Accessibility Reporting Initiative. n.d. (March 2, 2014), http://www.mobileaccessibility.info/
- 8.Cloud4all. n.d. (cited March 10, 2014), http://cloud4all.info/
- 10.Unified Listing. n.d. (March 2, 2014), http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/Unified_Listing
- 11.Gower, V., Andrich, R., Agnoletto, A.: Federating Databases of Assistive Technology Products: Latest Advancements of the European Assistive Technology Information Network. In: 16th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Crete, Greece (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Algorithm for Product similarity. n.d. (cited March 2, 2014), http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/Algorithm_for_product_similarity