Cloud Storage Services in Higher Education – Results of a Preliminary Study in the Context of the Sync&Share-Project in Germany
In recent years, a growing number of institutions in higher education is in progress to adopt cloud storage services. This paper describes the Sync&Share NRW-project in North Rhine-Westphalia (Germany) with a target audience of up to 500,000 users and presents the main results of a preliminary large-scale survey at the University of Muenster with more than 3,000 participants. The results of the analysis indicates a very high demand for an on-premise cloud service solution in German higher education with mobile access, a storage volume comparable to commercial offerings, collaborative features such as simultaneous work on text documents and, above all, high data protection standards.
Keywordscloud storage services higher education technology adoption trust
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Mell, P., Grance, T.: The NIST Definition of Cloud Computing (Draft) Recommendations of the National Institute of Standards and Technology. The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Gaithersburg (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.CDW, From Tactic To Strategy: The CDW 2011 Cloud Computing Tracking Poll, http://webobjects.cdw.com/webobjects/media/pdf/Newsroom/CDW-Cloud-Tracking-Poll-Report-0511.pdf (last access on December 30, 2013)
- 6.Sasikala, S., Prema, S.: Massive Centralized Cloud Computing (MCCC) Exploration in Higher Education (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Siegle, D.: Cloud Computing: A Free Technology Option to Promote Collaborative Learning. Gifted Child Today 33, 41–45 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Erkoç, M.F., Kert, S.B.: Cloud Computing For Distributed University Campus: A Prototype Suggestion. In: International Conference on Future of Education, Firenze (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.New York University, NYU Google Apps for Education, http://www.nyu.edu/its/google/ (last access on December 31, 2013)
- 12.JUCC IS Task Force, Cloud Computing - A newsletter for IT Professionals, http://www.istf.jucc.edu.hk/newsletter/IT_03/IT-3_Cloud_Computing.pdf (last access on December 31, 2013)
- 14.Vogl, R., Angenent, H., Bockholt, R., Rudolph, D., Stieglitz, S., Meske, C.: Designing a Large Scale Cooperative Sync& Share Cloud Storage Plattform for the Academic Community in Northrhine-Westfalia. In: 19th European University Information Systems — EUNIS 2013 Congress Proceedings, pp. 205–208 (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Curtis, S.: Oxford University Builds VMware Private Cloud, http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/oxford-university-builds-vmware-private-cloud-43123 (last access on December 31, 2013)
- 16.Davis, F.D.: Perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, and user acceptance of information technology. MIS Quarterly, 319–340 (1989)Google Scholar
- 17.Schneider, A.-M., Stieglitz, S., Lattemann, C.: Social Software as an Instrument of CSR, ICT. In: Transparency and Social Responsibility Conference 2007, Lisbon, pp. 1–10 (2007)Google Scholar
- 18.Steiner, M., Götz, O., Stieglitz, S.: The Influence of Learning Management System Components on Learners’ Motivation in a Large-Scale Social Learning Environment. In: Proceedings of the 34th International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Milan, Italy (2013)Google Scholar