Predicting Citation Counts for Academic Literature Using Graph Pattern Mining
The citation count is an important factor to estimate the relevance and significance of academic publications. However, it is not possible to use this measure for papers which are too new. A solution to this problem is to estimate the future citation counts. There are existing works, which point out that graph mining techniques lead to the best results. We aim at improving the prediction of future citation counts by introducing a new feature. This feature is based on frequent graph pattern mining in the so-called citation network constructed on the basis of a dataset of scientific publications. Our new feature improves the accuracy of citation count prediction, and outperforms the state-of-the-art features in many cases which we show with experiments on two real datasets.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Garfield, E.: Impact factors, and why they won’t go away. Science 411(6837), 522 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Beel, J., Gipp, B.: Google scholar’s ranking algorithm: The impact of citation counts (an empirical study). In: Proc. RCIS, pp. 439–446 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Callaham, M., Wears, R., Weber, E.: Journal prestige, publication bias, and other characteristics associated with citation of published studies in peer-reviewed journals. Journal of the American Medical Association 287(21), 50–2847 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Kulkarni, A.V., Busse, J.W., Shams, I.: Characteristics associated with citation rate of the medical literature. PLOS one 2(5) (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Livne, A., Adar, E., Teevan, J., Dumais, S.: Predicting citation counts using text and graph mining. In: Proc. the iConference 2013 Workshop on Computational Scientometrics: Theory and Applications (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Yan, R., Tang, J., Liu, X., Shan, D., Li, X.: Citation count prediction: learning to estimate future citations for literature. In: Proc. CIKM, pp. 1247–1252 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Shi, X., Leskovec, J., McFarland, D.A.: Citing for high impact. In: Proc. JCDL, pp. 49–58 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Munasinghe, L., Ichise, R.: Time score: A new feature for link prediction in social networks. IEICE Trans. 95-D(3), 821–828 (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Yan, R., Huang, C., Tang, J., Zhang, Y., Li, X.: To better stand on the shoulder of giants. In: Proc. JCDL, pp. 51–60 (2012)Google Scholar