Designing for Success: Creating Business Value with Mobile User Experience (UX)
The popularity of mobile devices, such as smart phones and tablets, provides both new opportunities and challenges for companies. Mobile devices allow companies to reach users anywhere, anytime; however, these devices present the challenge of designing websites that can adapt to smaller screen sizes. Because competition is shifting more and more toward user experience, creating a positive mobile experience is becoming increasingly important in maintaining a competitive edge in the market place. To address this issue, we measured the user experience of an actual e-commerce website before and after it was optimized for mobile devices and used Google Analytics to follow user behavior. The results suggested that optimized websites are likely to have a major positive impact on the ROI for a company.
KeywordsUser Experience Design Mobile Websites Mobile Optimization Mobile User Experience Return on Investment (ROI) Business Value Google Analytics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brooke, J.: SUS: a “quick and dirty” usability scale. In: Jordan, P.W., Thomas, B., Weerdmeester, B.A., Mcclelland, I.L. (eds.) Usability Evaluation in Industry, pp. 189–194. Taylor & Francis, London (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.eMarketer. Smartphone users as percentage of all mobile users in the u.S. From 2010 to 2016 (2013 a) (Statista retrieved May 6, 2013)Google Scholar
- 5.eMarketer. Tablet users in the united states from 2010 to 2015 (in millions) (2013b) (Statista retrieved May 6, 2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Foraker 2010, Usability ROI, Case Study: Breastcancer.org Discussion Forums, http://www.usabilityfirst.com/documents/U1st_BCO_CaseStudy.pdf (retrieved)
- 7.Google/Nielsen, Life 360 mobile search moments (2013), http://ssl.gstatic.com/think/docs/creating-moments-that-matter_research-studies.pdf (retrieved)
- 8.Northington, D.: Why Mobile Site Optimization Matters- 6 Best Practices for Mobile Design (2011), http://www.thesearchagents.com/2011/11/why-mobile-site-optimization-matters-6-best-practices-for-mobile-design/ (retrieved)
- 9.Sauro, J.: Measuring Usability With The System Usability Scale (SUS). From Measuring Usability (2011), http://www.measuringusability.com/sus.php (retrieved August 24, 2013)
- 10.Tractinsky, N.: Does Aesthetics Matter in Human-Computer Interaction. In: Stary, C. (ed.) Mensch & Computer, pp. 29–42. Oldenbourg Verlag, München (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Tullis, T.: Conducting Large scale online User Research Studies, The User Experience Professionals Association (UXPA), Shanghi, China (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Tullis, T.S., Stetson, J.N.: A Comparison of Questionnaires for Assessing Website Usability, Usability Professionals Association (UPA) 2004 Conference, Minneapolis, USA, June 7-11 (2004)Google Scholar