To Shave or Not to Shave?
This study explores whether wearing a beard in a LinkedIn profile picture affects a candidate’s prospects of being invited for a job interview and whether this is contingent on the type of job vacancy. Based on Ohanian’s (1990) three sub dimensions of credibility, three different job vacancies were constructed: (1) architect for an expertise-job, (2) back cashier officer for a trustworthiness-job, and (3) sales representative for an attractiveness-job. Results of a 2 (candidate: beard versus no beard) x 3 (job type: expertise, trustworthiness, attractiveness) experiment conducted among 216 participants show that bearded candidates are perceived as having more expertise than clean-shaven candidates. Moreover, a candidate’s perceived expertise is a significant predictor of the intention to invite the candidate for a job interview. Theoretical and practical implications of these findings are discussed.
KeywordsPersonal Branding Strategic Social Media recruitment beards credibility job interview success LinkedIN
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arnold, T.C., Rynes, S.L.: Recruitment and job choice research: Same as it ever was? In: Schmitt, N.W., Highhouse, S., Weiner, I.B. (eds.) Handbook of Psychology, 2nd edn., pp. 104–142. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Fishbein, M., Ajzen, I.: Belief, attitude, intention, and behavior: An introduction to theory and research. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1975)Google Scholar
- 7.Goffman, E.: The presentation of self in everyday life. Garden City, New York (1959)Google Scholar
- 9.Hayes, A.F.: Introduction to Mediation, Moderation, and Conditional Process Analysis: A Regression-Based Approach. The Guilford Press, New York (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Jackson, W.C., Bendick, M., Romero, H.J.: Employment discrimination against older workers. Journal of Aging & Social Policy 8(4), 25–46 (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Johnston, M.A.: Beard fetish in early modern England. Ashgate Publishing Limited, Farnham (2011)Google Scholar
- 23.Tobak, S.: Want a great job? Then shave! (September 12, 2012), http://www.cbsnews.com/news/want-a-great-job-then-shave/ (accessed February 7, 2014)