Design Implications to Systems Supporting Informal Caregivers’ Daily Life
This paper is about studying informal caregivers to understand their exhausting life. Our aim is to define design requirements for any kind of information and communication technology to support them. Based on ethnographic studies we gathered information about our users’ needs, possibilities, constraints, and challenges. After a brief introduction to the related research on current technology solutions we introduce our methodology. Then we present two of our user cases in detail. We point out areas in which we can really provide technology support for our users. We also describe what qualities and features the technology should have to meet these requirements. We summarize our findings before we conclude the paper.
KeywordsUser interfaces ethnography and field work interaction design informal caregivers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Breskovic, I., de Carvalho, A.F.P., Schinkinger, S., Tellioğlu, H.: Social Awareness Support for Meeting Informal Carers’ Needs: Early Development in TOPIC. In: Korn, M., Colombino, T., Lewkowicz, M. (eds.) Adjunct Proceedings of the 13th European Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work (ECSCW 2013), Paphos, Cyprus, Department of Computer Science Aarhus University, pp. 3–8 (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Chen, Y., Ngo, V., Park, S.Y.: Caring for Caregivers: designing for integrality. In: CSCW 2013, San Antonio, TX, USA (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Chiu, T., Massimi, M.: A Digital Support Device Designed to Help Family Caregivers Coordinate, Communicate and Plan the Care of People with Brain Injury AMIA (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Chwalisz, K., Kisler, V.: Perceive Stress: A Better Measure of Carer Burden. Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development 28, 88–98 (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Czaja, S., Rubert, M.P.: Telecommunications Technology as an Aid to Family Caregivers of Persons With Dementia. Psychosomatic Medicine, Journal of Biobehavioral Medicine 64(3), 8 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.de Carvalho, A.F.P., Schinkinger, S., Breskovic, I., Tellioğlu, H.: Technology for Work-Life Balance in Terms of Informal Care Work. In: ECSCW 2013 Workshop “CSCW at the Boundary of Work and Life”, Paphos, Cyprus, pp. 1–6 (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Demiris, G., Oliver, D.P., Courtney, K.L., Day, M.: Telehospice Tools for Caregivers. Clinical Gerontologist 31(1), 17 (2008)Google Scholar