A System Architecture for Affective Meta Intelligent Tutoring Systems
Intelligent Tutoring Systems (ITSs) constitute an alternative to expert human tutors, providing direct customized instruction and feedback to students. ITSs could positively impact education if adopted on a large scale, but doing that requires tools to enable their mass production. This circumstance is the key motivation for this work. We present a component-based approach for a system architecture for ITSs equipped with meta-tutoring and affective capabilities. We elicited the requirements that those systems might address and created a system architecture that models their structure and behavior to drive development efforts. Our experience applying the architecture in the incremental implementation of a four-year project is discussed.
Keywordsarchitecture component-based tutoring meta-tutoring affect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.VanLehn, K.: The Behavior of Tutoring Systems. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education 16(3), 227–265 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Burleson, W.: Affective Learning Companions: Strategies for Empathetic Agents with Real-Time Multimodal Affective Sensing to Foster Meta-Cognitive Approaches to Learning, Motivation, and Perseverance. MIT PhD thesis (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Bass, L., Clements, P., Kazman, R.: Software Architecture in Practice, 2nd edn. Addison-Wesley, Boston (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Lehman, B., D’Mello, S.K., Person, N.: All Alone with Your Emotions. In: 9th International Conference on Intelligent Tutoring Systems. Springer (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Gonzalez-Sanchez, J., Chavez-Echeagaray, M.E., Atkinson, R., Burleson, W.: Multimodal Detection of Affective States: A Roadmap Through Diverse Technologies. In: ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Firesmith, D.G., Capell, P., Falkentha, D., Hammons, C.B., Latimer IV, D.T., Merendino, T.: The Method Framework for Engineering System Architectures. CRC Press (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.VanLehn, K., Burleson, W., Girard, S., Chavez- Echeagaray, M.E., Gonzalez-Sanchez, J., Hidalgo-Pontet, Y., Zhang, L.: The Affective Meta-Tutoring project: Lessons Learned. In: 15th International Conference on Intelligent Tutoring Systems. Springer (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Gonzalez-Sanchez, J., Chavez-Echeagaray, M.E., VanLehn, K., Burleson, W.: From Behavioral Description to A Pattern-Based Model for Intelligent Tutoring Systems. In: 18th International Conference on Pattern Languages of Programs. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Pressman, R.S.: Software Engineering, 7th edn. McGraw-Hill, Boston (2009)Google Scholar