Generating a REST Service Layer from a Legacy System
Web 2.0 phenomenon, REST APIs and growing mobile service consumption are leading the development of web applications to a new paradigm, named cross-device web application. Most organizations often possess legacy systems which should face an ongoing evolution process to enhance its accessibility and interoperability. In such scenario, a REST API plays a key role, defining the interaction layer between the legacy system and all its heterogeneous frontends. This work presents a model-driven approach to derive a REST API from a legacy web application within the frame defined by a modernization process. In this work we detail the API generation process and provide a sample implementation instrumenting one of the studied web development frameworks to evaluate the suitability of the approach.
KeywordsWeb services Software modernization Model driven engineering
Work funded by Spanish Contract MIGRARIA—TIN201 1-27340 at Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación and Gobierno de Extremadura (GR-10129) and European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
- 1.Fielding RT (2000) Architectural styles and the design of network-based software architectures. PhD thesis, University of California, IrvineGoogle Scholar
- 2.Programmable Web. API dashboard. http://www.programmableweb.com/apis. Accessed 12 June 2013
- 3.Tilkov S. Is REST winning? http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/05/is-rest-winning. Accessed 12 June 2013
- 4.Rodríguez-Echeverría R, Conejero JM, Clemente PJ, Preciado JC, Sanchez-Figueroa F (2012) Modernization of legacy web applications into rich internet applications, vol 7059/2012, pp 236–250Google Scholar
- 5.Rodríguez-Echeverría R, Conejero JM, Clemente PJ, Pavón VM, Sanchez-Figueroa F (2012) Model driven extraction of the navigational concern of legacy web applications. In: Grossniklaus M, Wimmer M (eds) Current trends in web engineering. Lecture notes in computer science, vol 7703. Springer, Berlin, pp 56–70Google Scholar
- 6.Jouault F, Kurtev I (2005) Transforming models with ATL. In: MoDELS satellite events, pp 128–138Google Scholar
- 7.Ulrich W, Newcomb P (2010) Modernization standards roadmap in information systems transformation architecture-driven modernization case studies. Morgan Kaufmann, Burlington, Massachusetts, USA, pp 45–64Google Scholar
- 8.Rossi G, Pastor O, Schwabe D, Olsina L (2007) Web engineering: modelling and implementing web applications (Human-computer interaction series). Springer-Verlag LondonGoogle Scholar
- 9.Liu Y, Wang Q, Zhuang M, Zhu Y (2008) Reengineering legacy systems with RESTful web service. In: Proceedings of the 2008 32nd annual IEEE international computer software and applications conference (COMPSAC’ 08). IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, USA, pp 785–790. doi: 10.1109/COMPSAC.2008.89. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109COMPSAC.2008.89Google Scholar
- 10.Engelke C, Fitzgerald C (2010) Replacing legacy web services with RESTful services. Proceedings of the first international workshop on RESTful design—WS-REST’10, vol 5, p 27Google Scholar
- 11.Szymanski C, Schreier S (2012) Case study: extracting a resource model from an object-oriented legacy application. In: Alarcon R, Pautasso C, Wilde E (eds) Proceedings of the third international workshop on RESTful design (WS-REST ‘12). ACM, New York, pp 19–24. doi: 10.1145/2307819.2307825; http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2307819.2307825