Robust Face Recognition by Group Sparse Representation That Uses Samples from List of Subjects
In this paper we consider group sparsity for robust face recognition. We propose a model for inducing group sparsity with no constraints on the definition of the structure of the group, coupled with locality constrained regularization. We formulate the problem as bounded distance regularized L 2 norm minimization with group sparsity inducing, non-convex constrains. We apply convex relaxation and a branch and bound strategy to find an approximation to the original problem. The empirical results confirm that with this approach of deploying a very simple non-overlapping group structure we outperform several state-of-the-art sparse coding based image classification methods.
KeywordsFace recognition sparse representation group sparsity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Coates, A.: Demystifying unsupervised feature learning (2012)Google Scholar
- Coates, A., Ng, A.Y.: The importance of encoding versus training with sparse coding and vector quantization. In: Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML 2011), pp. 921–928 (2011)Google Scholar
- CVX Research, Inc.: CVX: Matlab Software for Disciplined Convex Programming, version 2.0. (August 2012), http://cvxr.com/cvx
- Elhamifar, E., Vidal, R.: Robust classification using structured sparse representation. In: IEEE CVPR, pp. 1873–1879 (2011)Google Scholar
- Huang, J., Huang, X., Metaxas, D.N.: Learning with dynamic group sparsity. In: IEEE ICCV, pp. 64–71 (2009)Google Scholar
- Junzhou Huang, T.Z.: The benefit of group sparsity (2009)Google Scholar
- Kostadinov, D., Voloshynovskiy, S., Ferdowsi, S.: Robust human face recognition based on locality preserving sparse over complete block approximation. In: Proceedings of SPIE Photonics West, Electronic Imaging, Media Forensics and Security V, San Francisco, USA, January 23 (2014)Google Scholar
- Meier, L., Geer, S.V.D., Bühlmann, P., Zürich, E.T.H.: The group lasso for logistic regression. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B (2008)Google Scholar
- Shi, Q., Eriksson, A., van den Hengel, A., Shen, C.: Is face recognition really a compressive sensing problem? In: 2013 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 553–560 (2011)Google Scholar
- Wang, J., Yang, J., Yu, K., Lv, F., Huang, T.S., Gong, Y.: Locality-constrained linear coding for image classification. In: IEEE CVPR, pp. 3360–3367 (2010)Google Scholar
- Zhang, L., Yang, M., Feng, Z., Zhang, D.: On the dimensionality reduction for sparse representation based face recognition. In: IEEE ICPR, pp. 1237–1240 (2010)Google Scholar
- Zhao, P., Rocha, G., Yu, B.: The composite absolute penalties family for grouped and hierarchical variable selection. Ann. Statist., 2009 (2009)Google Scholar