A New MIP Model for Parallel-Batch Scheduling with Non-identical Job Sizes
Parallel-batch machine problems arise in numerous manufacturing settings from semiconductor manufacturing to printing. They have recently been addressed in constraint programming (CP) via the combination of the novel sequenceEDD global constraint with the existing pack constraint to form the current state-of-the-art approach. In this paper, we present a detailed analysis of the problem and derivation of a number of properties that are exploited in a novel mixed integer programming (MIP) model for the problem. Our empirical results demonstrate that the new model is able to outperform the CP model across a range of standard benchmark problems. Further investigation shows that the new MIP formulation improves on the existing formulation primarily by producing a much smaller model and enabling high quality primal solutions to be found very quickly.
KeywordsMixed Integer Programming Constraint Programming Master Problem Global Constraint Mixed Integer Programming Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Tran, T.T., Beck, J.C.: Logic-based benders decomposition for alternative resource scheduling with sequence-dependent setups. In: Proceedings of the Twentieth European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2012), pp. 774–779 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Baptiste, P., Le Pape, C., Nuijten, W.: Constraint-based Scheduling. Kluwer Academic Publishers (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Vilím, P.: Edge finding filtering algorithm for discrete cumulative resources in O(kn log n). In: Gent, I.P. (ed.) CP 2009. LNCS, vol. 5732, pp. 802–816. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Daste, D., Gueret, C., Lahlou, C.: A branch-and-price algorithm to minimize the maximum lateness on a batch processing machine. In: Proceedings of the 11th International Workshop on Project Management and Scheduling (PMS), Istanbul, Turkey, pp. 64–69 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Grossmann, I.E.: Mixed-integer optimization techniques for the design and scheduling of batch processes. Technical Report Paper 203, Carnegie Mellon University Engineering Design Research Center and Department of Chemical Engineering (1992)Google Scholar
- 15.Pinedo, M.L.: Scheduling: Theory, Algorithms, and Systems, 2nd edn. Prentice-Hall (2003)Google Scholar
- 22.IBM ILOG: User’s manual for cplex (2013)Google Scholar
- 23.Ilog, I.: Cplex optimization suite 12.5 (2013)Google Scholar
- 24.Choco Team: Choco: An open source java constraint programming library. version 2.1.5 (2013)Google Scholar