Towards Agile and Beyond: An Empirical Account on the Challenges Involved When Advancing Software Development Practices
During the last decade, the vast majority of software companies have adopted agile development practices. Now companies are looking to move beyond agile and further advance their practices. In this paper, we report on the experiences of a company in the embedded systems domain that is adopting agile practices with the intention to move beyond agile and towards continuous deployment of software. Based on case study research involving group interviews and a web-based survey, we identify challenges in relation to (1) the adoption of agile practices, (2) testing practices, (3) continuous deployment, and (4) customer validation.
KeywordsAgile practices beyond agile continuous deployment challenges
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Highsmith, J., Cockburn, A.: Agile Software Development: The business of innovation. In: Software Management, pp. 120–122 (September 2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Larman, C.: Agile and Iterative Development: A Manager’s Guide. Addison-Wesley (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Abrahamsson, P., Warsta, J., Siponen, M., Ronkainen, J.: New Directions on Agile Methods: a comparative analysis. In: Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Software Engineering, Portland, Oregon, pp. 244–254 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Olsson, H.H., Alahyari, H., Bosch, J.: Climbing the Stairway to Heaven. In: Proceedings of the 38th Euromicro Software Engineering Advanced Applications (SEAA) Conference, Cesme, Turkey, September 5-7 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Olsson H.H., Bosch, J.: Towards, R.&.D. as Innovation Experiment Systems: A Framework for Moving Beyond Agile Software Development. In: Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Software Engineering (SE 2013), Innsbruck, Austria, February 11-13 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Sommerville, I.: Software Engineering, 6th edn. Pearson Education, Essex (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Humble, J., Farley, D.: Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases through Build, Test and Deplyment Automation. Addison-Wesley, Boston (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Ståhl, D., Bosch, J.: Modeling continuous integration practice differences in industry software development. Journal of Systems and Software, 48–59 (2014)Google Scholar
- 15.Runesson, P., Höst, M.: Guidelines for conducting and reporting case study research in software engineering. Empirical Software Engineering 14 (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Allen, E., Seaman, C.: Likert Scales and Data Analyses. Quality Progress 2007, 64–65 (2007)Google Scholar
- 18.Goodman, D., Elbaz, M.: “It’s not the pants, it’s the people in the pants” Learnings from The Gap Agile Transformation. In: Agile 2008 Conference, pp. 112–115 (2008)Google Scholar
- 19.Ablett, R., Sharlin, E., Maurer, F., Denzinger, J., Schock, C.: BuildBot: Robotic Monitoring of Agile Software Development Teams. In: 16th IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human interactive Communication, pp. 931–936 (2007)Google Scholar