Genetic Algorithm Based Prediction of an Optimum Parametric Combination for Minimum Thrust Force in Bone Drilling
Drilling operation on bone for screw insertion to fix the broken bones or for the fixation of implants during orthopaedic surgery is highly sensitive. It demands for minimum drilling damage of bone for proper fixation and quick recovery postoperatively. The aim of the present study is to find out an optimum combination of bone drilling parameters (feed rate and spindle speed) for minimum thrust force during bone drilling using genetic algorithm (GA). Central composite design is employed to carry out the bone drilling experiments and based on the experimental results, a response surface model was developed. This model is used as a fitness function for genetic algorithm (GA). The investigation showed that the GA technique can efficaciously estimate the optimal setting of bone drilling parameters for minimum thrust force value. The suggested approach can be very useful for orthopaedic surgeons to perform minimally invasive drilling of bone.
KeywordsBone drilling Thrust force Response surface methodology Genetic algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Thompson, H.C.: Effect of drilling into bone. Journal of Oral Surgery 16, 22–30 (1958)Google Scholar
- 11.Abouzgia, M.B., James, D.F.: Temperature rise during drilling through bone. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants 12, 342–3531 (1997)Google Scholar
- 12.Hobkirk, J.A., Rusiniak, K.: Investigation of variable factors in drilling bone. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 35, 968–973 (1977)Google Scholar
- 15.Myers, R.H., Montgomery, D.C.: Response surface methodology, 2nd edn. Wiley, New York (2002) ISBN 0-471-41255-4Google Scholar
- 16.Box, G.E.P., Hunter, J.S., Hunter, W.G.: Statistics for experimenters, 2nd edn. Wiley, New York (2005) ISBN 13978-0471-71813-0Google Scholar
- 17.Deb, K.: Chichester (ed.) Multi-objective Optimization using Evolutionary Algorithms. John Wiley and Sons, Ltd., England (2001)Google Scholar
- 21.Design Expert, http://www.statease.com/dx8descr.html