Relational lattices are obtained by interpreting lattice connectives as natural join and inner union between database relations. Our study of their equational theory reveals that the variety generated by relational lattices has not been discussed in the existing literature. Furthermore, we show that addition of just the header constant to the lattice signature leads to undecidability of the quasiequational theory. Nevertheless, we also demonstrate that relational lattices are not as intangible as one may fear: for example, they do form a pseudoelementary class. We also apply the tools of Formal Concept Analysis and investigate the structure of relational lattices via their standard contexts.
Keywordsrelational lattices relational algebra database theory algebraic logic lattice theory cylindric algebras Formal Concept Analysis standard context incidence relation arrow relations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AHV95]Abiteboul, S., Hull, R., Vianu, V.: Foundations of Databases. Addison-Wesley (1995)Google Scholar
- [Cra74]Craig, W.: Logic in Algebraic Form. Three Languages and Theories. Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics, p. 72. North Holland (1974)Google Scholar
- [GW96]Ganter, B., Wille, R.: Applied Lattice Theory: Formal Concept Analysis. In: Grätzer, G. (ed.) General Lattice Theory, 2nd edn., Birkhäuser (1996)Google Scholar
- [Gur66]Gurevich, Y.: The word problem for certain classes of semigroups. Algebra and Logic 5, 25–35 (1966)Google Scholar
- [HH02]Hirsch, R., Hodkinson, I.: Relation Algebras by Games. Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics, vol. 147. Elsevier (2002)Google Scholar
- [Jac99]Jacobs, B.: Categorical Logic and Type Theory. Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics, vol. 141. North Holland, Amsterdam (1999)Google Scholar
- [JR92]Jipsen, P., Rose, H.: Varieties of Lattices. Lecture Notes in Mathematics, vol. 1533. Springer (1992)Google Scholar
- [JR98]Jipsen, P., Rose, H.: Varieties of Lattices. In: Grätzer, G. (ed.) General Lattice Theory, pp. 555–574. Birkhäuser (1998); Appendix F to the second editionGoogle Scholar
- [ST06]Spight, M., Tropashko, V.: First Steps in Relational Lattice (2006), http://arxiv.org/abs/cs/0603044
- [Ste99]Stern, M.: Semimodular Lattices. Encyclopedia of Mathematics and its Applications, vol. 73. Cambridge University Press (1999)Google Scholar
- [Tro]Tropashko, V.: The website of QBQL: Prototype of relational lattice system, https://code.google.com/p/qbql/
- [Tro05]Tropashko, V.: Relational Algebra as non-Distributive Lattice (2005), http://arxiv.org/abs/cs/0501053