Augmented Reality Art pp 175-188
Augmented Reality Painting and Sculpture: From Experimental Artworks to Art for Sale
This chapter focuses on a use of augmented reality that is more closely related to traditional painting and sculpture than to interactive game-like AR installations. Based on an analysis of the author’s experimental paintings and sculptures, presented in his solo exhibition Hidden Realities and the outdoor installation The Enterprise Jigsaw, it deals with a particular type of augmented reality paintings that integrate gallery-quality art prints of digital paintings with augmentation by 2D and 3D objects. This type of painting can provide one easy and reliable solution to the acute problem of the saleability of Augmented Reality Art. Alongside theoretical considerations, the first ever augmented reality painting for sale on Amazon is presented – the author’s artwork The Half Kiss. Similar possibilities for AR sculptures are also analysed.
- Aceti L. Not here, not there: an analysis of an international collaboration to survey augmented reality art. Editorial to not here not there. Leonardo Electron Alm. 2013;19(1 & 2):8. http://www.leoalmanac.org/vol19-no1-not-here-not-there/. Accessed 7 Oct 2013.Google Scholar
- Amazon. Search for “Augmented Reality Books”. http://www.amazon.co.uk (2013). Accessed 26 Mar 2013.
- Amazon. The Half Kiss: augmented reality painting – signed erotic art print by artist V Geroimenko. http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Half-Kiss-Augmented-Painting/dp/B0041DGCLI/ (2014). Accessed 3 Jan 2014.
- Baradaran A. Frenchising Mona Lisa. http://www.amirbaradaran.com/ab_monalisa.php (2011). Accessed 15 June 2013.
- Geroimenko V. The VG art gallery. http://www.geroimenko.com (2009). Accessed 28 Mar 2013.
- Geroimenko V. Digital photo painting as an artistic and cultural phenomenon. In: Proceedings of the 15th international conference on information visualisation (iV2011, London). 2011. p. 461–4.Google Scholar
- Geroimenko V. Augmented reality technology and art: the analysis and visualization of evolving conceptual models. In: Proceedings of the 16th international conference on information visualisation (iV2012, Montpellier). 2012. p. 445–53.Google Scholar
- Geroimenko V. Artistic visualisation of practical information using augmented reality. In: Proceedings of the 17th international conference on information visualisation (iV2013, London). 2013a. p. 404–9.Google Scholar
- Geroimenko V. Augmented reality paintings: art for sale? In: AR[t]: augmented reality, art and technology, Issue 4. The Hague: AR Lab: Royal Academy of Art; 2013b. p. 68–71.Google Scholar
- Google Scholar. http://scholar.google.co.uk/ (2013). Accessed 8 July 2013.
- Hutchinson I. Between physical and digital: augmented reality sculpture – 2013. http://www.ianhutch.net/work.html (2013). Accessed 28 Dec 2013.
- Jacucci G, et~al. Augmented reality painting and collage: evaluating tangible interaction in a field study. In: Human-computer interaction – INTERACT 2005, Lecture notes in computer science. Springer-Verlag Berlin, Heidelberg; vol 3585. 2005. p. 43–56.Google Scholar
- Marzo A, Ardaiz O. CollARt: a tool for creating 3D photo collages using mobile augmented reality. In: Proceedings of the 21st ACM international conference on multimedia. New York: ACM; 2013. p. 585–8.Google Scholar
- Roberto RA, Teichrieb V. ARBlocks: a projective augmented reality platform for educational activities. In: Proceedings of IEEE virtual reality conference 2012. Costa Mesa, CA, USA; 2012. p. 175–6.Google Scholar
- Trevor J. The future of painting? http://trevorjonesart.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/the-future-of-painting.html (2013). Accessed 18 Nov 2013.
- Valbuena P. Augmented sculpture. http://www.pablovalbuena.com/selectedwork/augmented-sculpture-v1/ (2007). Accessed 5 Oct 2013.
- Van Eck W, Kolstee Y. The augmented painting: playful interaction with multi-spectral images. In: Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE international symposium on mixed and augmented reality (ISMAR-AMH). Atlanta, GA, USA; 2012. p. 65–9.Google Scholar
- Wright FL. Quotes. http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/69188.Frank_Lloyd_Wright (2013). Accessed 18 Oct 2013.