The explosion of mobile technology and its growing accessibility to the global public has made augmented reality [AR] a powerful tool for activism. This is the story of the first generation of activists that began working with augmented reality [AR] to further their causes. These activists pioneered the development of mobile AR in search of what made it unique from other mediums and what traits could be used to further activists agendas. Many of these works are the first explorations of their type with this new technology and act as a road map for future activists working with AR. What dangers do those working with this technology face? Does AR have the ability to empower the masses? Can it create real social change and can it unite society by turning virtual experiences into physical ones? The activists in this chapter set out to find these answers.
- Andrews E. 11 things you may not know about ancient Egypt. History.com, http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/11-things-you-may-not-know-about-ancient-egypt (2012). Accessed 29 Nov 2013.
- Barnett E. Public projection. fans in a flash bulb, http://fansinaflashbulb.wordpress.com/2009/03/10/public-projection/ (2009). Accessed 25 Nov 2013.
- Bell M. Occupy the Tundra, Antarctica: protests spread to 951 cities, thanks in part to viral photos online. Washington Post, http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/occupy-the-tundra-antarctica-protests-spread-to-951-cities-thanks-in-part-to-viral-photos-online/2011/10/17/gIQAIU9LuL_blog.html (2011). Accessed 18 Nov 2013.
- Boden S, Williams J. Consumption and emotion: the romantic ethic revisited. Sociology, http://www.sagepub.com/mcdonaldizationstudy5/articles/Consumption_ArticlesPDFs/Boden.pdf (2002). Accessed 5 Jan 2014.
- Bodzash D. The northern lights are disappearing. Examiner.com, http://www.examiner.com/article/the-northern-lights-are-disappearing (2010). Accessed 29 Nov 2013.
- Boyd A, Mitchell D. Beautiful trouble: a toolbox for revolution. New York: OR Books; 2012.Google Scholar
- Carter J. Why basic smartphones will win in the race for ‘the next billion’ users IN DEPTH Is Nokia onto something? Tech Radar, http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/why-basic-smartphones-will-win-in-the-race-for-the-next-billion-users-1145720 (2013). Accessed 21 Dec 2013.
- Chen H. Text, reply, now occupy. Washington Square News, http://issuu.com/nyu.news/docs/wsn012312/4 (2012). Accessed 17 Dec 2013.
- Critical Art Ensemble. Electronic civil disobedience: and other unpopular ideas. New York: Autonomedia; 1997.Google Scholar
- Debord G, Nicholson-Smith D. The society of the spectacle. New York: Zone Books; 1967/1994.Google Scholar
- Estes A. The FBI treated occupy like a terrorist group. Yahoo News, http://news.yahoo.com/fbi-treated-occupy-terrorist-group-021450389.html (2012). Accessed 5 Jan 2014.
- Johnson L. Augmented reality apps predicted to generate $300M in 2013: study. Mobile Marketer, http://www.mobilemarketer.com/cms/news/research/14159.html (2012). Accessed 20 Dec 2013.
- Katz J. Imperfect moments: mapplethorpe and censorship, twenty years later. http://www.icaphila.org/news/pdf/mapplethorpe_pr.pdf (2009). Accessed 7 Jan 2014.
- Kramer A. Ukraine tracks protesters through cellphones. New York Times, http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/01/22/world/europe/ukraine-protests.html?_r=0&referrer= (2014). Accessed 21 Jan 2014.
- Ledbetter J. The day the NYSE went Yippie, Forty years ago, Abbie Hoffman and friends invaded the heart of American capitalism and sprinkled dollar bills on the exchange floor. Did it make a difference? CNN.com, http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/17/news/funny/abbie_hoffman/CNNMoney (2007). Accessed 20 Dec 2013.
- Savage C, Wyatt E, Baker P. U.S. confirms that it gathers online data overseas. New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/07/us/nsa-verizon-calls.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 (2013). Accessed 10 Dec 2013.
- Şenerdem E. TİB’s ‘forbidden words list’ inconsistent with law, say Turkish web providers. Hürriyet Daily News, http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/default.aspx?pageid=438&n=tibs-forbidden-words-list-inconsistent-with-law-2011-04-29 (2011). Accessed 3 Jan 2014.
- Smith A. International – trademark owners beware: augmented reality can pollute your brand. World Trademark Review, http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/account/registerv2/RegisterFree.aspx?ReturnURL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.worldtrademarkreview.com%2fdaily%2fdetail.aspx%3f%3d6F7E9886-3A5F-4783-A028-320B8518FD5A (2010). Accessed 29 Nov 2013.
- White M. Augmented reality, replacing imagination with computer animation. adbusters, https://www.adbusters.org/blogs/blackspot-blog/augmented-reality.html (2010). Accessed 14 Dec 2013.
- White J. Muslim nationalism and the new Turks. Princeton: Princeton University Press; 2012.Google Scholar
- Yochelson B, Riis J, Czitrom D. Rediscovering Jacob Riis: exposure journalism and photography in turn-of-the-century New York. New York: New Press; 2007.Google Scholar