Supporting Value Stream Design Using S-BPM
This paper proposes that the lean production method of value stream design (VSD) can be supported by subject-oriented business process management (S-BPM). Among the potential benefits of subject-oriented VSD support are a more accurate and faster data capture and a more effective analysis and enactment of process improvements. The integration of the two approaches is possible because they are based on the same understanding of processes – as a set of asynchronous activities with decentralised control and coordination. The paper describes how some of the fundamental concepts of VSD can be mapped onto S-BPM, including commonly used parameters for analysing existing value streams and some design principles for creating future value streams.
KeywordsLean production value stream mapping (VSM) value stream design (VSD) S-BPM
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rother, M., Shook, J.: Learning to See: Value-Stream Mapping to Create Value and Eliminate Muda. The Lean Enterprise Institute, Cambridge (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Wagner, K.W., Lindner, A.M.: WPM – Wertstromorientiertes Prozessmanagement. Carl Hanser Verlag, München (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Womack, J.P., Jones, D.T.: From Lean Production to the Lean Enterprise. Harvard Business Review 72, 93–103 (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Womack, J.P., Jones, D.T.: Lean Thinking: Banish Waste and Create Wealth in your Corporation. Free Press, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.El-Haik, B., Roy, D.M.: Service Design for Six Sigma: A Road Map for Excellence. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Shingo, S.: A Study of the Toyota Production System from an Industrial Engineering Viewpoint. Productivity Press, New York (1989)Google Scholar
- 9.Erlach, K.: Value Stream Design: The Way Towards a Lean Factory. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Zor, S., Görlach, K., Leymann, F.: Using BPMN for Modeling Manufacturing Processes. In: Proceedings of the 43rd CIRP Conference on Manufacturing Systems, Vienna, Austria, pp. 1–8 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Fleischmann, A., Schmidt, W., Stary, C., Obermeier, S., Börger, E.: Subject-Oriented Business Process Management. Springer, Berlin (2012)Google Scholar