Regulating Corporate Criminal Liability: An Introduction
Corporate criminal liability is on the rise worldwide: More and more criminal justice systems now include criminal sanctions against legal entities; other jurisdictions contemplate to introduce new legal provisions on this matter. The regulatory approaches taken are manifold—even in otherwise similar criminal justice systems. Therefore, many lessons can be learned by providing an international and comparative, topical outlook on the different paths and their implications to criminal justice, to the regulation of the corporate world, and to the economy in general. In this volume, specific emphasis is put on procedural questions relating to corporate criminal liability, on alternative sanctions such as blacklisting of corporations, on common corporate crimes and on questions of transnational and international criminal justice.
KeywordsCriminal Justice Criminal Justice System Legal Person Legal Entity Criminal Procedure
We thank Roxin Alliance for their generous donation which made the symposium and this volume possible, and the moderators—Prof. Dr. William S. Laufer, Prof. Dr. Holger Matt, Prof. Dr. Helmut Satzger, Alexander Schemmel and Prof. Dr. Petra Wittig—for shaping the symposium, and Dr. Klaus Moosmayer for his valuable contributions from a practitioner’s perspective. We are grateful to Franziska Kahlbau, Hannah-Sophie Aures, Christiane Junken, Benedikt Linder and, last but not least, Anke Seyfried and Dhivya Geno Savariraj for their support in furtherance of the symposium and the volume.
- Campbell JL, Göritz AS (2013) I bribe therefore I am! Corruption as a matter of organizational culture. Oral presentation for the Third AIDP symposium for Young Penalists on corporate criminal liability, MunichGoogle Scholar
- Engelhart M (2012) Unternehmensstrafbarkeit im europäischen und internationalen Recht. eucrim 3:110–123Google Scholar
- Tiedemann K (2013) Wirtschaftsstrafrecht: Einführung und Allgemeiner Teil. Vahlen, Munich, pp 161–170Google Scholar
- Tyler TR, Mentovich A (2011) Punishing collective entities. J Law Policy 19:203–230Google Scholar
- Vogel J (2012) Unrecht und Schuld in einem Unternehmensstrafrecht. Strafverteidiger 32:427–432Google Scholar