The Parareal in Time Algorithm Applied to the Kinetic Neutron Diffusion Equation
The parareal in time algorithm is a time domain decomposition method for the approximation of transient problems. Its implementation in a parallel fashion allows for significant speed-ups in the computing time and opens the door to long time computations that involve accurate propagators. In this work, we first propose to overview the different strategies for the parallelization of the algorithm. We will then study the speed-up provided by parareal on a concrete example: the kinetic neutron diffusion equation in a nuclear reactor core. Implementations have been carried out with the MINOS solver, which is a tool developed at CEA in the framework of the APOLLO3Ⓡproject. As a conclusion, we will discuss the possibility of using neutron diffusion as a coarse propagator for neutron transport.
KeywordsTime Algorithm Domain Decomposition Kinetic Transport Parareal Iteration Energy Group
This work was supported in part by the joint research program MANON between CEA-Saclay and University Pierre et Marie Curie-Paris 6.
- 3.Bal, G., Maday, Y.: A “parareal” time discretization for non-linear PDE’s with application to the pricing of an American put. In: Recent Developments in Domain Decomposition Methods, vol. 23, pp. 189–202. Springer, Berlin (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Baudron, A.M., Lautard, J.J.: A simplified P n solver for core calculation. Nucl. Sci. Eng. 155, 250–263 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Baudron, A.M., Lautard, J.J., Riahi, K., Maday, Y., Salomon, J.: Parareal in time 3D numerical solver for the LWR Benchmark neutron diffusion transient model (submitted)Google Scholar
- 6.Dautray, R., Lions, J.L.: Analyse mathématique et calcul numérique. Masson, Cambridge (1984)Google Scholar
- 8.Langenbuch, S., Maurer, W., Werner, W.: Coarse-mesh flux expansion method for the analysis of space-time effects in large light water reactor cores. Nucl. Sci. Eng. 63, 437–456 (1977)Google Scholar
- 10.Reuss, P.: Précis de neutronique. EDP Sciences, Collection Génie Atomique (2003)Google Scholar