On-Line Lumen Centre Detection in Gastrointestinal and Respiratory Endoscopy
We present in this paper a novel lumen centre detection for gastrointestinal and respiratory endoscopic images. The proposed method is based on the appearance and geometry of the lumen, which we defined as the darkest image region which centre is a hub of image gradients. Experimental results validated on the first public annotated gastro-respiratory database prove the reliability of the method for a wide range of images (with precision over 95 %).
KeywordsLumen centre detection Bronchoscopy Colonoscopy
This work was supported by a research grant from Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona 471-01- 2/2010 and by Spanish projects \(TIN2009-10435\), \(TIN2009-13618\) and \(TIN2012-33116\).
- 1.Sucar, L.E., Gillies, D.F.: Knowledge-based assistant for colonscopy. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Industrial and Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems, vol. 2, pp. 665–672 (1990)Google Scholar
- 2.Phee, S., Ng, W., Chen, I., Seow-Choen, F., Davies, B.: Automation of colonoscopy. ii. visual control aspects. Eng. Med. Biol. Mag. IEEE 17(3), 81–88 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Gallo, G., Torrisi, A.: Lumen detection in endoscopic images: a boosting classification approach. Int. J. Adv. Intell. Syst. 5(1–2), 127–134 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Zabulis, X., Argyros, A.A., Tsakiris, D.P.: Lumen detection for capsule endoscopy. In: IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, IROS 2008. pp. 3921–3926. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Masters, I., Eastburn, M., et al.: A new method for objective identification and measurement of airway lumenin paediatric flexible videobronchoscopy. Thorax 60(8), 652 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Sanchez, C., Gil, D., Rosell, A., Andaluz, A., Sanchez, F.J.: Segmentation of tracheal rings in videobronchoscopy combining geometry and appearance. In: VISAPP 2013, vol. 1, pp. 153–161 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Bernal, J., Sánchez, J., Vilariño, F.: Impact of image preprocessing methods on polyp localization in colonoscopy frames. In: Proceedings of the 35th International Conference of the IEEE EMBC (Osaka, Japan), July 2013 (in press)Google Scholar