New Method for Analytical Photovoltaic Parameters Identification: Meeting Manufacturer’s Datasheet for Different Ambient Conditions
At present, photovoltaic energy is one of the most important renewable energy sources. The demand for solar panels has been continuously growing, both in the industrial electric sector and in the private sector. In both cases the analysis of the solar panel efficiency is extremely important in order to maximize the energy production. In order to have a more efficient photovoltaic system, the most accurate understanding of this system is required. However, in most of the cases the only information available in this matter is reduced, the experimental testing of the photovoltaic device being out of consideration, normally for budget reasons. Several methods, normally based on an equivalent circuit model, have been developed to extract the I-V curve of a photovoltaic device from the small amount of data provided by the manufacturer. The aim of this paper is to present a fast, easy, and accurate analytical method, developed to calculate the equivalent circuit parameters of a solar panel from the only data that manufacturers usually provide. The calculated circuit accurately reproduces the solar panel behavior, that is, the I-V curve. This fact being extremely important for practical reasons such as selecting the best solar panel in the market for a particular purpose, or maximize the energy extraction with MPPT (Maximum Peak Power Tracking) methods.
KeywordsEquivalent Circuit Characteristic Point Solar Panel Photovoltaic Device Equivalent Circuit Model
- 1.K.L. Kennerud, Analysis of performance degradation in CdS solar cells. IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst, 912–917 (1969)Google Scholar
- 5.W. Xiao, W.G. Dunford, A. Capel, in A Novel Modeling Method for Photovoltaic Cells. 2004 IEEE 35th Annual Power Electronics Specialists Conference (IEEE Cat. No.04CH37551) (2004), pp. 1950–1956 )Google Scholar
- 9.S. Lineykin, in Five-Parameter Model of Photovoltaic Cell Based on STC Data And Dimensionless. 2012 IEEE 27th Convention of Electronical and Electronics Engineers in Israel (2012), pp. 1–5Google Scholar
- 10.H.S. Rauschenbach, Solar Cell Array Design Handbook, The Principles and Technology of Photovoltaic Energy Conversion. (Van Nostrand Reinhold Co, New York, 1980)Google Scholar
- 11.Emcore: ZTJ photovoltaic cell (2011), www.emcore.com