Harmony Search Algorithm Based Nearly Optimal Peak Reduction Tone Set Selection for PAPR Reduction in OFDM System
This paper considers the use of the tone reservation (TR) technique to reduce the peak-to-average power ratio (PAPR) of an orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) signal. In the TR scheme, a small number of unused subcarriers called peak reduction carriers (PRCs) are reserved to reduce the PAPR and the goal of the TR scheme is to find the optimal values of the PRCs that minimize the PAPR of the transmitted OFDM signal. The conventional TR technique can provide good PAPR reduction performance for OFDM signals; however, it requires an exhaustive search over all combinations of allowed PRC set, resulting in high complexity. In this paper, the harmony research (HS) algorithm is applied to search the optimal combination of PRC, which can significantly reduce the computational complexity and offers lower PAPR at the same time. Simulation results show that the TR based on HS algorithm can achieve the good tradeoff between PAPR reduction performance and computational complexity.
KeywordsOrthogonal frequency division multiplexing Harmony search algorithm Peak-to-average power ratio reduction Tone reservation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Andrews, J.G., Ghosh, A., Muhamed, R.: Fundamentals of WiMAX, Understanding Broadband Wireless Networking. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.van Nee, R., Prasad, R.: OFDM for Wireless Multimedia Communications. Artech House, Boston (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Li, X., Cimini Jr., L.J.: Effects of clipping and filtering on the performance of OFDM. In: Proc. Globecom, pp. 1634–1638 (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Tellado, J., Cioffi, J.M.: Peak power reduction for multicarrier transmission. In: Proc. Globecom, pp. 219–224 (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Tellado, J.: Multicarrier Modulation With Low PAR: Applications to DSL and Wireless. Kluwer, Norwell (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Tellado, J.: Peak to Average Power Reduction for Multicarrier Modulation, Ph.D. dissertation, Stanford Univ. (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Tellado, J., Cioffi, J.M.: PAR reduction in multicarrier transmission system. ANSI Document, T1E1.4 Technical subcommittee, pp. 1–14, no. 97-367 (December 8, 1997)Google Scholar