Detection of Bus Routes Number in Bus Panel via Learning Approach
Detection of bus route number is a very important issue for assisting visually impaired people to take the bus. This paper proposes an intelligent approach to detect bus route numbers to help visually impaired people to “see” the bus route number of a moving bus. Current e-bus stations in Taipei, Taiwan, are not very robust in bad weather. For visually impaired people, it is very difficult know which bus route number is approaching the bus station. Some past research used RFID, GIS, sound, and image-based methods to help visually impaired people to “see” bus route number. However, the development of bus route number reading devices for visually impaired people in real time is still at an early stage. In this paper, we propose an efficient and effective learning-based method to detect the bus route number in displayed on the bus façade panel of the moving bus. Experimental results show that the proposed method can reduce time complexity and achieve high bus route number detection rates.
KeywordsBus route number detection Moving bus Learning approach Cascaded rule-based localization visually impaired people
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Taipei e-bus System, http://www.e-bus.taipei.gov.tw/new/english/en_index_6_1.aspx
- 2.Noor, M.Z.H., Ismail, I., Saaid, M.F.: Bus detection device for the blind using RFID application. In: International Colloquium on Signal Processing & Its Applications, pp. 247–249 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Mustapha, A.M., Hannan, M.A., Hussain, A., Basri, H.: UKM campus bus identification and monitoring using RFID and GIS. In: IEEE Student Conference on Research and Development, pp. 101–104 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Pan, H., Yi, C., Tian, Y.: A Primary Travelling Assistant System of Bus Detection and Recognition for Visually Impaired People. In: IEEE Workshop on MAP4VIP, in conjunction with ICME 2013 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Dalal, N., Triggs, B.: Histograms of Oriented Gradients for Human Detection. In: Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, vol. 1, pp. 886–893 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Chang, C.C., Lin, C.J.: LIBSVM: a Library for Support Vector Machine (2001), http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~cjlin/libsvm
- 8.Tsai, C.M., Yeh, Z.M.: Text detection in bus panel for visually impaired people ‘seeing’ bus route number. In: ICMLC, pp. 1234–1239 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Kukharev, G., Novosielski, A.: Visitor identification elaborating real time face recognition system. In: Proc. 12th WSCG, pp. 157–164 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Color Conversion (RGB to YCbCr), http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff635643.aspx
- 13.Confidence interval, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confidence_interval
- 14.Chang, F., Chen, C.J., Lu, C.J.: A linear-time component-labeling algorithm using contour tracing technique. CVIU 93(2), 206–220 (2004)Google Scholar