Debugging and Rapid Prototyping of NFC Secure Element Applications
The ecosystem behind secure elements is complex and prevents average developers from creating secure element applications. In this paper we introduce concepts to overcome these issues. We develop two scenarios for open platforms emulating a secure element for the Android platform. Such an open emulator can be used for debugging and rapid prototyping of secure element applications. Moreover, by trading the secure element’s security and trust for openness, such a platform can be used as a replacement for the secure element for long-term testing and for showcasing of applications.
KeywordsNear Field Communication Secure Element Java Card Rapid prototyping Debugging Testing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Balaban, D.: Telcos Close Ranks as Google Threat Looms. NFC Times Blog (July 2011), http://www.nfctimes.com/blog/dan-balaban/telcos-close-ranks-google-threat-looms
- 2.Balaban, D.: With Launch of Google Wallet, the Wallet War Begins. NFC Times Blog (June 2011), http://www.nfctimes.com/blog/dan-balaban/launch-google-wallet-wallet-war-begins
- 4.Dudarev, M.: jCardSim – Java Card is simple! Presentation at JavaOne Russia (April 2013), http://jcardsim.org/sites/default/files/CON1160.pdf
- 5.Elenkov, N.: Emulating a PKI smart card with CyanogenMod 9.1. Android Explorations (October 2012), http://nelenkov.blogspot.com/2012/10/emulating-pki-smart-card-with-cm91.html
- 7.RIM: Blackberry API 7.0.0: Package net.rim.device.api.io.nfc.emulation (2011), http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/7.0.0api/net/rim/device/api/io/nfc/emulation/package-summary.html
- 8.Roland, M.: Software Card Emulation in NFC-enabled Mobile Phones: Great Advantage or Security Nightmare? In: 4th International Workshop on Security and Privacy in Spontaneous Interaction and Mobile Phone Use, Newcastle, UK (June 2012), http://www.medien.ifi.lmu.de/iwssi2012/papers/iwssi-spmu2012-roland.pdf
- 9.Roland, M.: Security Issues in Mobile NFC Devices. Ph.D. thesis, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Department of Computational Perception (January 2013)Google Scholar
- 10.SEEK for Android: AddonTerminal: How to create an Addon Terminal (May 2012), http://code.google.com/p/seek-for-android/wiki/AddonTerminal
- 11.SIMalliance: Open Mobile API specification (June 2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Sun Microsystems, Inc.: Java Card Platform: Runtime Environment Specification, Version 2.2.2 (March 2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Sun Microsystems, Inc.: Java Card Platform: Virtual Machine Specification, Version 2.2.2 (March 2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Yeager, D.: Added NFC Reader support for two new tag types: ISO PCD type A and ISO PCD type B. Patches to the CyanogenMod aftermarket-firmware for Android devices (January 2012), https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_packages_apps_Nfc/commit/d41edfd794d4d0fedd91d561114308f0d5f83878