Évora Residents and Sports Activity
- 1.7k Downloads
A healthy life is promoted by active practices that decrease sedentary lifestyles, reducing the risks of occurrence of various diseases. The World Health Organization recognizes the importance of physical activity in physical, mental, and social health. This paper presents some of the results obtained from a survey realized in collaboration with the Sports Division of Municipality of Évora to characterize the physical activity of the residents. After an exploratory data analysis, and some comparisons using parametric and nonparametric tests, we adjust a logistic regression model to identify enhancers’ factors of physical activity. We conclude that the residents in this municipality have a high physical activity rate and that there are no significant differences in physical activity rate between genders. Physical activity rate decreases drastically with age, varies with the professional situation and increases with qualification. The more likely practitioner is a young male, self-employed without higher education that knows some sports initiatives and that is satisfied with municipality sports offer.
KeywordsSport Enterprises Physical Activity Practice Municipal Sports Sports Division Entertainment Reasons
This is a join work with Sports Division from Municipality of Évora and had the collaboration of the Organization and Informatics Management Division from Municipality of Évora. PI and AA are members of CIMA-UE, a research center funded by the FEDER program, administrated by FCT Pluriannual Funding.
- 1.Cochran, W.G.: Sampling Techniques, 3rd edn. Wiley, New York (1977)Google Scholar
- 2.Eurobarometer. Sport and Physical Activity. Special Eurobarometer 334/Wave72.3. TNS Opinion & Social. European Commission. Available via DIALOG. http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/ebs/ebs_334_en.pdf (2010). Accessed 15 Mar 2012
- 3.Hosmer, D., Lemeshow, S.: Applied Logistic Regression, 2nd edn. Wiley, New York (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Mariovet, S.: Práticas Desportivas na Sociedade Portuguesa (1988–1998). In: Actas do IV Congresso Português de Sociologia: Passados Recentes, Futuros Próximos. Available via DIALOG. http://www.aps.pt/cms/docs_prv/docs/DPR462e088b86481_1.PDF (2000). Accessed 15 Mar 2012
- 5.World Health Organization: Global recommendations on physical activity for health. World Health Organization. Available via DIALOG. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2010/9789241599979_eng.pdf (2010). Accessed 15 Mar 2012