dipSPAdes: Assembler for Highly Polymorphic Diploid Genomes
While the number of sequenced diploid genomes of interest have been steadily increasing in the last few years, assembly of highly polymorphic (HP) diploid genomes remains challenging. As a result, there is shortage of tools for assembling HP genomes from NGS data. The initial approaches to assembling HP genomes were proposed in the pre-NGS era and are not well suited for NGS projects. We present the first de Bruijn graph assembler dipSPAdes for HP genomes and demonstrate that it significantly improves on the state-of-the-art in the HP genome assembly.
Keywordsgenome assembly polymorphism de Bruijn graph SPAdes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bankevich, A., Nurk, S., Antipov, D., Gurevich, A.A., Dvorkin, M., Kulikov, A.S., Lesin, V.M., Nikolenko, S.I., Pham, S., Prjibelski, A.D., Pyshkin, A.V., Sirotkin, A.V., Vyahhi, N., Tesler, G., Alekseyev, M.A., Pevzner, P.A.: SPAdes: A New Genome Assembly Algorithm and Its Applications to Single-Cell Sequencing. Journal of Computational Biology 19, 455–477 (2012)CrossRefMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- 11.He, D., Choi, A., Pipatsrisawat, K., Darwiche, A., Eskin, E.: Optimal algorithms for haplotype assembly from whole-genome sequence data. Bioinformatics 26, i183–i190 (2010)Google Scholar
- 14.Ohm, R.A., et al.: Genome sequence of the model mushroom Schizophyllum commune. Nature 28, 957–963 (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Vinson, J.P., Jaffe, D.B., O’Neill, K., Karlsson, E.K., Stange-Thomann, N., Anderson, S., Mesirov, J.P., Satoh, N., Satou, Y., Nusbaum, C., Birren, B., Galagan, J.E., Lander, E.S.: Assembly of polymorphic genomes: algorithms and application to Ciona savignyi. Genome Research 15, 1127–1135 (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Xie, M., Wang, J., Chen, J.: A model of higher accuracy for the individual haplotyping problem based on weighted SNP fragments and genotype with errors. Bioinformatics 24, i105–i113 (2008)Google Scholar