Architecture and Performance Characteristics of a PostgreSQL Implementation of the TPC-E and TPC-V Workloads
The TPC has been developing a publicly available, end-to-end benchmarking kit to run the new TPC-V benchmark, with the goal of measuring the performance of databases subjected to the variability and elasticity of load demands that are common in cloud environments. This kit is being developed completely from scratch in Java and C++ with PostgreSQL as the target database. Since the TPC-V workload is based on the mature TPC-E benchmark, the kit initially implements the TPC-E schema and transactions. In this paper, we will report on the status of the kit, describe the architectural details, and provide results from prototyping experiments at performance levels that are representative of enterprise-class databases. We are not aware of other PostgreSQL benchmarking results running at the levels we will describe in the paper. We will list the optimizations that were made to PostgreSQL parameters, to hardware/operating system/file system settings, and to the benchmarking code to maximize the performance of PostgreSQL, and saturate a large, 4-socket server.
KeywordsDatabase performance virtualization PostgreSQL cloud computing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bond, A., Kopczynski, G., Reza Taheri, H.: Two Firsts for the TPC: A Benchmark to Characterize Databases Virtualized in the Cloud, and a Publicly-Available, Complete End-to-End Reference Kit. In: Nambiar, R., Poess, M. (eds.) TPCTC 2012. LNCS, vol. 7755, pp. 34–50. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Figueiredo, R., Dinda, P.A., Fortes, J.A.B.: ‘Guest Editors’ Introduction: Resource Virtualization Renaissance. Computer 38(5), 28–31 (2005), http://www2.computer.org/portal/web/csdl/doi/10.1109/MC.2005.159 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Nanda, S., Chiueh, T.-C.: A Survey on Virtualization Technologies. Technical Report ECSL-TR-179, SUNY at Stony Brook (February 2005), http://www.ecsl.cs.sunysb.edu/tr/TR179.pdf
- 6.Smith, G.: PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance. Packt Publishing (October 20, 2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Smith, W.D., Sebastian, S.: Virtualization Performance Insights from TPC-VMS, http://www.tpc.org/tpcvms/tpc-vms-2013-1.0.pdf
- 8.SPECvirt_sc2010 benchmark info, SPEC Virtualization Committee, http://www.spec.org/virt_sc2010/
- 9.SPECvirt_sc2013 benchmark info, SPEC Virtualization Committee, http://www.spec.org/virt_sc2013/
- 10.TPC: Detailed TPC-C description, http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/detail.asp
- 11.TPC: Detailed TPC-E Description, http://www.tpc.org/tpce/spec/TPCEDetailed.doc
- 12.TPC: TPC Benchmark H Specification, http://www.tpc.org/tpch/spec/tpch2.14.4.pdf
- 13.TPC: TPC Benchmark DS Specification, http://www.tpc.org/tpcds/spec/tpcds_1.1.0.pdf
- 14.VMware, Inc., http://www.vmware.com/products/vmmark/overview.html