Towards an Automated Investigation of the Impact of BGP Routing Changes on Network Delay Variations
Understanding fluctuations in network performance is important as many applications, including streaming, conferencing, gaming, and financial transactions, rely on timely delivery of data. Awareness of the effect of routing changes on network delays is key to this understanding, but research in this area is often based on empirical observations that cannot be easily extended to everyday network scenarios.
We study the relationship between BGP routing changes and round-trip times (RTTs), bringing several contributions: 1) an automated methodology that exploits state-of-the-art statistical methods to determine if a routing change caused a significant RTT variation; 2) an application of our methodology on massive RIPE RIS and RIPE Atlas data sets, showing its effectiveness in the wild (for example, at least 72.5% of the unique routing changes were consistently associated with an RTT increase – or decrease – in all their occurrences); 3) various a-posteriori analyses leading to interesting findings for several practical applications.
KeywordsAutonomous System Network Delay Correlation Score Border Gateway Protocol Tolerance Window
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Basseville, M., Nikiforov, I.: Detection of Abrupt Changes: Theory and Application. Prentice-Hall, Inc. (1993)Google Scholar
- 3.Chuah, C.N., Bhattacharyya, S., Diot, C.: Measuring I-BGP updates and their impact on traffic. Tech. Rep. TR02-ATL-051099, Sprint ATL (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Da Lozzo, G., Di Battista, G., Squarcella, C.: Visual discovery of the correlation between BGP routing and round-trip delay active measurements. Computing, 1–11 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Hernandez, A., Magana, E.: One-way delay measurement and characterization. In: Proc. ICNS (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Mahimkar, A., Ge, Z., Wang, J., Yates, J., Zhang, Y., Emmons, J., Huntley, B., Stockert, M.: Rapid detection of maintenance induced changes in service performance. In: Proc. CoNEXT (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Mahimkar, A., Song, H., Ge, Z., Shaikh, A., Wang, J., Yates, J., Zhang, Y., Emmons, J.: Detecting the performance impact of upgrades in large operational networks. In: Proc. SIGCOMM (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Pucha, H., Zhang, Y., Mao, Z., Hu, Y.: Understanding network delay changes caused by routing events. In: Proc. SIGMETRICS (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Rimondini, M., Di Battista, G., Squarcella, C.: From BGP to RTT and beyond: Matching BGP routing changes and network delay variations with an eye on traceroute paths, Technical Report arXiv:1309.0632 (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Tsamoura, E., Gounaris, A.: Incorporating change detection in network coordinate systems for large data transfers. In: Proc. PCI (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Zhang, Y., Mao, Z., Wang, J.: A framework for measuring and predicting the impact of routing changes. In: Proc. INFOCOM (2007)Google Scholar