Operational Planning for Military Demolitions: An Integrated Approach
Rapid and efficient implementation of demolition along invasion routes is critical for ground defence operations. The related process includes a series of interrelated actions that have to be carefully planned in order to successfully complete demolition operations; units have to estimate and allocate human and material resources and establish appropriate access to demolition sites. This paper provides efficient operational models that can be applied by army engineering units in order to estimate resources and plan logistic activities for demolitions. Further, a decision support tool developed for real-time military operations is developed and presented.
KeywordsMilitary operations Demolitions Logistic activities Mathematical programming
- 1.US Army (1993). Field Manual 5-71-100: Division Engineer Combat Operations, http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/5-71-100/index.html, USA.
- 2.US Army (1994). Field Manual 90-7: Combined Arms Obstacle Integration, http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/90-7/index.html, USA.
- 3.US Army (1995). Field Manual 5-100-15: Corps Engineer Operations, http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/5-100-15/index.html, USA.
- 4.US Army (1996). Field Manual 5-100: Engineer Operations http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/5-100/index.html, USA.
- 5.US Army (1990). Field Manual 7-10: The Infantry Rifle Company. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/7-10/index.html, USA.
- 6.Goodman, S. and Pohl, S., ISMIS: A Military Transportation Decision Support Framework. Proceedings of the 1999 International Conference on Systems Research, Informatics and Cybernetics, Baden-Baden, Germany, 1999.Google Scholar
- 7.Keefer, D.L., Kirkwood, C.W. and Corner J.L. Summary of Decision Analysis Applications in the Operations Research Literature, 1990–2001, Technical Paper, Arizona State University, Arizona, USA, 2002Google Scholar
- 8.Pedersen, D., Van Zandt, J.R., Vogel, A.L. and Williamson, M.R. (1999) Decision Support System Engineering for Time Critical Targeting. MITRE Technical Paper, http://www.mitre.org/work/tech_papers/tech_papers_99/pedersen_decision/index.html., USA.
- 9.Tonfoni, G. and Jain, L. (2003) Innovations in Decision Support Systems, Advanced Knowledge International Pty Ltd, Australia.Google Scholar