Application of Wavelets to the Cyclostratigraphy of the Upper Homerian (Silurian) Gėluva Regional Stage in the Viduklė-61 Deep Well (Western Lithuania)
The Gėluva age (late Homerian: Silurian) is an important interval of time during which one of the major episodes of mass extinction occurred, affecting many clades of marine organisms. In this study, we investigated a stratigraphic series of gamma logs in the Viduklė-61 well. To test the possible presence of sedimentary cycles, we applied wavelet and other time-series analysis techniques. As a result, we found two cycles with different periods: a 16.7-m-long cycle and a 6.7-m-long cycle. Based on our calculations, the cycles are best explained as being caused by two Milankovitch eccentricity cycles (400 and 100 kyr, respectively). If this interpretation is correct, then it gives us a good tool for understanding the tempo of the lundgreni extinction event and subsequent biotic recovery.
KeywordsWavelet Gamma log Gėluva regional stage Silurian Lithuania
This research was supported by the Science Council of Lithuania MIP-034/2012, and it is a contribution to IGCP 591.
- Cramer, B. D., Condon, D. J., Söderlund, U., Marshall, C., Worton, G. J., Thomas, A. T., et al. (2012). U-Pb (zircon) age constraints on the timing and duration of Wenlock (Silurian) paleocommunity collapse and recovery during the ‘Big Crisis’. Geological Society of America Bulletin,124, 1841–1857.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hammer, Ø., Harper, D. A. T., & Ryan, P. D. (2001). PAST: Paleontological statistics software package for education and data analysis. Palaeontologia Electronica,4(1), 9.Google Scholar
- Hammer, Ø., & Harper, D. A. T. (2006). Paleontological data analysis (351 p). Oxford: Wiley–Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Paškevičius, J., Lapinskas, P., Brazauskas, A., Musteikis, P., & Jacyna, J. (1994). Stratigraphic revision of the regional stages of the Upper Silurian part in the Baltic Basin. Geologija (Vilnius),17, 64–87.Google Scholar
- Prokoph, A., & Agterberg, F. P. (2000). Wavelet analysis of well-logging data from oil source rock, Egret Member, offshore eastern Canada. AAPG Bulletin,84(10), 1617–1632.Google Scholar