On the Problems of Correlating the Pleistocene Glacial Deposits in the Russian Altai with Siberian Stratigraphic Scales
Thermoluminescence (TL), infrared stimulated luminescence (IRSL), and 14C dates obtained for the Pleistocene glacial deposits from the Chagan section (Russian Altai) and previously published dates demonstrate the considerable complexity of the absolute dating of such sediments. These results cast doubt on available depositional correlation schemes for the Russian Altai and Siberia based on TL dating.
KeywordsPleistocene Glacial sedimentation TL IRSL Radiocarbon dating Russian Altai
The study was funded by RFBR foundation (grant 13-05-00555).
- Agatova, A. R. (2005). Geomorphologic mapping of the Chagan-Uzun river basin: a key for reconstructing history of Pleistocene glaciations in the Southeastern Altai. Stratigraphy and Geological Correlation,13(6), 656–666.Google Scholar
- Agatova, A. R., Devyatkin, E. V., Vysotsky, E. M., Skobelitcin, G. A., & Nepop, R. K. (2004). Results of using TL method for dating glacial sediments of the Chagan section (SE Altai). Proceedings 38 Plenum of Geomorphological commission,Novosibirsk (pp. 7–9). (In Russian).Google Scholar
- Agatova, A. R., Nepop, R. K., & Vysotsky, E. M. (2006). Seismogravitational paleodislocations in Chagan River valley. Russian geomorphology,4, 53–62. (In Russian).Google Scholar
- Devyatkin, E. V. (1965). Cenozoic deposits and neotectonics of Southeastern Altai (p. 244). Moscow: USSR Academy of Science Publisher. (In Russian).Google Scholar
- Rusanov, G. G. (2008). The highest level of the Chuya glacial dammed lake in Gorny Altai. Russian Geomorphology,1, 65–71. (In Russian).Google Scholar
- Sheinkman, V. S. (2002). Testing of the S–S technology of TL dating on Dead Sea shore’s sections, its using in Gorny Altai and paleogeographical interpretation of the results. Archeology, Etnography and Anthropology of Eurasia,2(10), 22–37. (In Russian).Google Scholar
- Svitoch, A. A., Boyarskaya, T. D., Voskresenskaya, T. N., Glushankova, I. I., Evseev AV, & Kursalova, V. I. et al. (1978). The sections of the latest deposits of Altai (p. 208). Moscow: MSU Publisher. (In Russian).Google Scholar