Geochemistry and Chemostratigraphy of Meso- to Neoproterozoic Sedimentary Rocks of the Yenisei Ridge (Siberia, Russia)
Here we report the results of a study of the sedimentary rocks of the Yenisei Ridge, located on the south-western margin of the Siberian Platform. We investigated geochemical data on Meso- to Neoproterozoic terrigenous rocks and the isotopic (Sr, C, O) characteristics of carbonate rocks (the Sukhoi Pit, Tungusik, and Shirokino groups). The data show that the Sukhoi Pit, Tungusik, and Shirokino groups were deposited more than 850 Myr ago. The absence of tillite deposits and the occurrence of positive δ13C values indicate that the deposition took place before the occurrence of the Cryogenian global glaciations. The distributions of rare and trace elements in these rocks indicate that they were formed by the erosion of very mature (highly differentiated) rocks of the Siberian Platform.
KeywordsCarbonate Cryogenian Chemostratigraphy Strontium Rare and trace elements
The work was supported by the Russian Foundation of Basic Research (projects nos. 12-05-00569, 12-05-00628, 12-05-33076) and the Presidium of the Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences (project no. 53.68).
- Kuznetsov, A. B., Gorokhov, I. M., Mel’nikov, N. N., Konstantinova, G. V., Kutyavin, E. P., & Semikhatov, M. A. (2003). Sr isotope composition in carbonates of the Karatau group, southern urals, and standard curve of 87Sr/86Sr variations in the late Riphean ocean. Stratigraphy and Geological Correlation,11(5), 415–449.Google Scholar
- Maslov, A. V., Nojkin, A. D., Pokovurov, V. N., & Letnikova, E. F., et al. (2008). Geochemistry of fine-grained terrigenous rocks of upper Precambrian of the North Eurasia (p. 274). Yekaterinburg: UrS RAS, [in Russian].Google Scholar
- Melnikov, N. V., Yaksin, M. S., & Shishkin, B. B., et al. (2005). Stratigraphy of oil and gas basins of Siberia. Riphean and Vendian of Siberian Platform and its plaited border (p. 428). Novosibirsk: Geo [in Russian].Google Scholar
- Nojkin, A. D., & Turkina, O. M. (1993). Geochemistry of granulites of Kann and Sharujalgai complexes (p. 219). SB RAS : Novosibirsk.Google Scholar
- Nojkin, A. D., Turkina, O. M., Bibikova, E. V., Terleev, A. A., & Khomentovsky, V. V. (1999). Riphean granite–gneiss domes of the Yenisei ridge: Geological structure and U-Pb isotopic age. Russian Geology and Geophysics,40(9), 1284–1292.Google Scholar
- Taylor, S. R., & McLennan, S. M. (1985). The continental crust; its composition and evolution (p. 312). Cambridge: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Vernikovskaya, A. E., Vernikovsky, V. A., Popov, N. V., Yasenev, A. M., & Wingate, M. T. D. (2004). The oldest granitoids in the transangara region of the Yenisei ridge: U-Th–Pb data on zircon. Doklady Earth Science,397(5), 616–620.Google Scholar