Review of the Jurassic System of Russia: Stages, Boundaries, and Perspectives
A review of the state-of-the-art of Jurassic stages in Russia is presented. The Jurassic system is represented here mainly by Boreal deposits, and direct correlation of boundaries based on global stratotype sections and points (GSSPs) with stage boundaries of the Boreal succession remains mostly unclear for the Lower and Middle Jurassic. These Boreal boundaries could be better fixed by selecting secondary stratotype section and point (SSSP) sections. Callovian and Upper Jurassic stage boundaries are directly traced throughout in the Boreal areas.
KeywordsJurassic Russia Stage boundaries GSSP SSSP
This study was supported by RFBR grant 12-05-00380.
- Gallois, R. W. (2011). A revised description of the lithostratigraphy of the Kimmeridgian-Tithonian and Kimmeridgian-Volgian boundary beds at Kimmeridge, Dorset, UK. Geoscience in South-West England,12, 288–294.Google Scholar
- Kazakova, V. P. (1984). Aalenian Stage, its zonal subdivision and boundaries (p. 205). Moscow: Moscow State University Publishing House.Google Scholar
- Knyazev, V. G., Devyatov, V. P., Kutygin, R. V., Nikitenko, B. L., & Shurygin, B. N. (2003). Zonal standard of the Toarcian Stage of the North-East part of Asia (p. 103). Yakutsk: YB of the SD RAS Publishing House.Google Scholar
- Knyazev, V. G., Devyatov, V. P., & Melnik, O. A. (2007). Reference section of Aalenian and lower part of the Bajocian Stage of East Siberia (basin of the Molodo river). Otechestvennaya Geologiya,5, 39–42. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Meledina, S. V., & Shurygin, B. N. (2000). Aalenian Stage (Middle Jurassic) of eastern Siberia: Zonal subdivision, characteristic bivalves and ammonites. News of Paleontology and Stratigraphy,2–3, 73–85. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Ogg, J. G., Hinnov, L. A., & Huang, C. (2012). Jurassic. In F. M. Gradstein, J. G. Ogg & M. Schmitz (Eds.). The Geologic Time Scale 2012 (pp. 731–791). Boston: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Wierzbowski, A. (2010). On the Oxfordian/Kimmeridgian boundary and its GSSP–current state of knowledge. Volumina Jurassica, 8, 177–182.Google Scholar
- Zakharov, V. A., Bogomolov, Yu I, Il’ina, V. I., Konstantinov, A. G., Kurushin, N. I., Lebedeva, N. K., et al. (1997). Boreal zonal standard biostratigraphy of the Siberian Mesozoic. Russian Geology and Geophysics,38, 965–993.Google Scholar