Towards a Model-Driven-Architecture Process for Smart Grid Projects
The complexity in electrical power systems is continuously increasing due to its advancing distribution. This affects the topology of the grid infrastructure as well as the IT-infrastructure, leading to various heterogeneous systems, data models, protocols, and interfaces. This in turn raises the need for appropriate processes and tools that facilitate the management of the systems architecture on different levels and from different stakeholders’ view points. In order to achieve this goal, a common understanding of architecture elements and means of classification shall be gained. The Smart Grid Architecture Model (SGAM) proposed in context of the European standardization mandate M/490 provides a promising basis for domainspecific architecture models. The idea of following a Model-Driven-Architecture (MDA)-approach to create such models, including requirements specification based on Smart Grid use cases, is detailed in this contribution. The SGAM-Toolbox is introduced as tool-support for the approach and its utility is demonstrated by two real-world case studies.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Andren, F., Strasser, T., Rohjans, S., Uslar, M.: Analyzing the Need for a Common Modeling Language for Smart Grid Applications. In: 11th IEEE International Conference on Industrial Informatics (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.ENTSO-E, European Federation of Energy Traders (EFET), energy Business Information eXchange (ebIX): The Harmonised Elecricity Market Role Model. Tech. rep. (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.IEC: 61968-1 System Interfaces For Distribution Management - Part 1: Interface Architecture and General Recommendations (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.IEC: IEC 61850-5 Communication Networks and Systems in Substations - Part 5: Communication Requirements for Functions and Device Models. Tech. rep. (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Locke, G., Gallagher, P.: Nist framework and roadmap for smart grid interoperability standards release 1.0Google Scholar
- 7.Lopes, A., Lezama, R., Pineda, R.: Model Based Systems Engineering for Smart Grid as Systems of Systems. Complex Adaptive Systems 1(4), 441–450 (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Object and Reference Model Architecture Board Subcommittee: Model Driven Architecture (MDA). Tech. rep., Object Management Group (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Object Management Group: MDA Guide Version 1.0.1. Tech. rep. (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Smart Grid Coordination Group: First Set of Standards. Tech. Rep. November, CEN-CENELEC-ETSI (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Smart Grid Coordination Group: Smart Grid Information Security. Tech. Rep. CEN-CENELEC-ETSI (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Smart Grid Coordination Group: Smart Grid Reference Architecture. Tech. Rep. CEN-CENELEC-ETSI (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Smart Grid Coordination Group: Sustainable Processes. Tech. Rep. CEN-CENELEC-ETSI (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Trefke, J., Rohjans, S., Uslar, M., Lehnhoff, S., Nordström, L., Saleem, A.: Smart Grid Architecture Model Use Case Management in a large European Smart Grid Project. In: 4th IEEE European Innovative Smart Grid Technologies, ISGT (2013)Google Scholar