An Improved Similarity-Based Fast Coding Unit Depth Decision Algorithm for Inter-frame Coding in HEVC
The emerging High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) aims to achieve significantly improved compression performance with respect to the state-of-the-art H.264/AVC high profile. This better compression performance is achieved at a much higher computational complexity, which makes it difficult for real-time video systems. To reduce the encoding complexity, this paper presents an improved similarity-based fast coding unit depth decision algorithm for inter-frame coding. Firstly, a fast and precise depth information acquisition method is proposed to improve the accuracy of depth prediction. Secondly, CTUs of the medium similarity degree is further divided into two similarity degree categories, and the complexity of coding the coding tree units of these two categories is reduced by different coding unit depth decision strategies. Experimental results show that proposed algorithm can save on average 35.72% of the encoding time with negligible loss on the rate-distortion performance compared with HM11.0 and consistently outperforms the state-of-the-art schemes.
KeywordsHEVC inter prediction coding tree unit coding unit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bross, B., Han, W.J., Ohm, J.R., Sullivan, G.J., Wang, Y.K., Wiegand, T.: High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) Text Specification Draft 10. JCTVC of ISO/IEC and ITU-T, Doc. JCTVC-L1003, Geneva, Switzerland (January 2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Yoo, H., Suh, J.: Fast coding unit decision algorithm based on inter and intra prediction unit termination for HEVC. In: IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics, ICCE, Las Vegas, NV, pp. 300–301 (January 2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Choi, K., Park, S.H., Jang, E.S.: Coding tree pruning based CU early termination. JCTVC of ISO/IEC and ITU-T, Doc. JCTVC-F092, Torino, Italy (July 2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Shen, X., Yu, L., Chen, J.: Fast coding unit size selection for HEVC based on Bayesian decision rule. In: Picture Coding Symposium, PCS, Kraków, Poland, pp. 453–456 (May 2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, J.H., Park, C.S., Kim, B.G.: Fast coding algorithm based on adaptive coding depth range selection for HEVC. In: IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics, ICCE, Berlin, Germany, pp. 31–33 (September 2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhang, Y., Wang, H., Li, Z.: Fast Coding Unit Depth Decision Algorithm for Interframe Coding in HEVC. In: Data Compression Conference, DCC, Snowbird, UT, pp. 53–62 (March 2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Bjontegard, G.: Calculation of average PSNR differences between RD-curves. VCEG of ITU-T, Doc. VCEG-M33, Austin, Texas, USA (April 2001)Google Scholar