L1 Bengali Phonological Interference on L2 English - Analysis of Bengali AESOP Corpus
Every language has its own phonemic system, which holds unique as well as common features. A language shares some phonemes with other languages, but no two languages have the same phonemic inventory. Contrastive analysis is the field of study in which different phonemic systems are laid side by side to find out similarities and dissimilarities between the phonemes of the languages concerned. The purpose of this study is to derive which phonemes are used by the L1 Bengali speakers to recognize American English phonemes which are new and similar to their L1 Bengali phonology. The results of this study showed typical phonological problems of American English pronunciation by L1 Bengali speakers which will help to develop Computer Assisted Spoken Language Learning (CASLL) tool for faster acquisition of American English language speaking of L1 Bengali speakers.
KeywordsContrastive analysis Phonological interference Language acquisition Language transfer Pronunciation Phonemes Phonology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Visceglia, T., Tseng, C., Kondo, M., Meng, H., Sagisaka, Y.: Phonetic Aspects of Content Design in AESOP (Asian English Speech cOrpus Project). In: 2009 Oriental COCOSDA, Beijing, China, August 10-12, pp. 52–57 (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Saville-Troike, M., Pan, J., Dutkova, L.: Introducing second language acquisition. Cambridge Introductions to Language and Linguistics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Shockey. L, Phonetic and phonological properties of connected speech. Working Papers in Linguistics,17. Columbus: Department of Linguistics. The Ohio StateUniversity (1974)Google Scholar
- 4.Roach, P.: English Phonetics and Phonology: a practical course, 2nd edn., pp. 120–123. Cambridge University Press (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Chatterji, S.K.: The Original and Development of the Bengali Language, pp. 402 and 279 paragraph 3, 3rd impression. Rupa.Co (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Meng, H., Tseng, C., Kondo, M., Harrison, A., Visceglia, T.: Studying L2 Suprasegmental Features in Asian Englishes: A Position Paper. In: Interspeech, pp. 1715–1718 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Basu, J.B., Mitra, T., Mandal, M., Das, S.K.: Grapheme to phoneme (g2p) conversion for Bangla. In: Oriental COCOSDA International Conference on Speech Database and Assessments (2009)Google Scholar