Heart Disease Classification Using PCA and Feed Forward Neural Networks
The primary objective of this work is to discover a meaningful information in heart disease dataset for better diagnosis. This work is done using the data set available in UCI Machine learning repository. The work focuses on selecting the important features in the dataset using Principal Component Analysis and regression techniques. Using regression, the exponentiated estimate of the coefficient exp(B) of the feature is considered for feature selection. The exp(B) is the odds ratio of the independent variables. The work is done taking into consideration the components extracted using Principal Components Analysis technique and applying various operations on these components to produce methods like PCA1, PCA2, PCA3 and PCA4. It is observed that for one of the proposed methods PCA1, the prediction accuracy is 92.0% using regression and 95.2% using feed forward neural network classifier which is better than other methods. It is also observed that the accuracy of exp(B) is closer to PCA1 method, hence concluding that the exp(B) can also be considered for feature selection.
KeywordsDisease diagnosis Principal Component Analysis Feed Forward Neural Networks
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A.D.A.M. Medical Encyclopedia, Heart failure overview. PubMed Health (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Kung, S.Y., Luo, Y., Mak, M.-W.: Feature Selection for Genomic Signal Processing: Unsupervised, Supervised, and Self-Supervised Scenarios. J. Sign. Process. Syst., 3–20 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Er., O., Temurtas, F., Cetin Tanrikulu, A.: An approach on probabilistic neural network for diagnosis of mesothelioma’s disease. Computers and Electrical Engineering, 75–81 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Er., O., Yumusak, N., Temurtas, F.: Chest diseases diagnosis using artificial neural networks. Expert Systems with Applications, 7648–7655 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Polat, K., Gunes, S.: A hybrid approach to medical decision support systems:Combining feature selection, fuzzy weighted pre-processing and AIRS. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, 164–174 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Detrano, R.: V.A. Medical Center Long Each and Cleveland Clinic Foundation, ww.archive.ics.uci.edu/ml/datasets
- 12.Tucker, L.R., MacCallum, R.C.: Exploratory factor analysis (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.Han, J., Kamber, M.: Data Mining Concepts and Techniques, p.109 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Palaniappan, S., Awang, R.: Intelligent heart disease prediction system using data mining techniques, pp. 108–115. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.Polat, K., Gunes, S.: A new feature selection method on classification of medical datasets: Kernel F-Score feature selection. Expert Systems with Applications, 10367–10373 (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Lee, K., Ahn, H., Moon, H., Kodell, R.L., Chen, J.J.: Multinomial logistic regression ensembles. PubMed (2013)Google Scholar
- 17.Abawajy, J.H., Kelarev, A.V., Chowdhury, M.: Multistage approach for clustering and classification of ECG data. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 1–11 (2013)Google Scholar