Performance Evaluation of Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm for Optimal Design of Belt Pulley System
The present scenario in the design of machine elements includes the minimization of weight of the individual components in order to reduce the overall weight of the machine elements. It saves both cost and energy involved. Belts are used to transmit power from one shaft to another by means of pulleys which rotate at the same speed or different speeds. Generally, the weight of pulley acts on the shaft and bearings. In the present study, minimization of weight of a belt pulley system has been investigated. Particle swarm optimization algorithm (PSO) is used to solve the above mentioned problem subjected to a set of practical constraints and it is compared with the results obtained by Differential Evolution Algorithm (DEA). Our results indicate that PSO approach handles our problem efficiently in terms of precision and convergence and it outperforms the results presented in the literature.
KeywordsOptimal Design Belt pulley system Particle swarm optimization algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Deb, K.: Optimization for Engineering Design: algorithms and examples. Prentice Hall, New Delhi (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Bhandari, V.B.: Design of Machine Elements. McGraw Hill Education (India) Pvt. Ltd., New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Rao, S.S.: Engineering optimization. New Age International Publishers (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Reddy, Y.V.M.: Optimum Design of Belt Drive using Geometric Programming. Journal of Industrial Engineering, 21 (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Das, A.K., Pratihar, D.K.: Optimal Design of Machine Elements using a Genetic Algorithms. Journal of Institution of Engineers 83, 97–104 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Karaboga, D.: An idea based on honey bee swarm for numerical optimization. Technical report-TR06. Erciyes University, Engineering Faculty, Computer Engineering Department (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Basturk, B., Karaboga, D.: An artificial bee colony (ABC) algorithm for numeric function optimization. In: IEEE Swarm Intelligence Symposium (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Dorigo, M., Stutzle, T.: Ant colony optimization. MIT Press (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Lee, K.S., Geem, Z.W.: A new meta-heuristic algorithm for continuous engineering optimization: harmony search theory and practice. In: Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 194, pp. 3902–3933 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Kennedy, V., Eberhart, R.: Particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 1942–1948 (1995)Google Scholar
- 14.Clerc, M.: Particle swarm optimization. ISTE Publishing Company (2006)Google Scholar