Competing in the DARPA Virtual Robotics Challenge as the SARBOT Team
On October 25 th 2012 DARPA anounced the DARPA Robotics Challenge (DRC) kick off. The DRC is part of the US Department of Defense’s strategic plan to conduct humanitarian, disaster relief and related operations. The DRC particularly aims to promoting innovation in robotic technology (software and hardware) to improve the capability of ground robotic systems for disaster-response operations. Designed as a three-stage competition, the DRC started with a Virtual Robotics Challenge (VRC), where a selection of 26 teams proved their algorithms in a cloud-based simulated platform. The six best-performing teams in the VRC competition won an ATLAS humanoid robot to continue to the second stage of the DRC. This paper describes the work performed by one of the VRC competitors, the SARBOT Team.
KeywordsDARPA Robotics Challenge Virtual Robotics Challenge Disaster Response Operations Humanoids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The DARPA Robotics Challenge (2013), http://www.theroboticschallenge.org
- 2.Boston Dynamics: Atlas - the agile anthropomorphic robot (2013), http://www.bostondynamics.com/robot_Atlas.html
- 3.Guizzo, E.: iRobot smashes its new robotic hand with baseball bat (2012), IEEE Spectrum blog, http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/robotics-hardware/irobot-smashes-its-new-robotic-hand-with-baseball-bat
- 4.Ackerman, E.: Sandia National Labs gives roboticists a hand (2012), IEEE Spectrum blog, http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/humanoids/sandia-labs-robotic-hand-
- 5.Carnegie Robotics: MultiSense-SL (2013), https://support.carnegierobotics.com/attachments/token/ndxeazyuhj2sgd7/?name=Carnegie_Robotics_MultiSense_SL-v2.pdf
- 7.Gonzalez, A., Bergasa, L., Yebes, J.: Text detection and recognition on traffic panels from street-level imagery using visual appearance. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Gonzalez de Santos, P., Garcia, E., Estremera, J.: Quadrupedal Locomotion: An Introduction to the Control of Four-Legged Robots. Springer, London (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Rodríguez-Jiménez, S., Burrus, N., Abderrahim, M.: 3d object reconstruction with a single rgb-depth image. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Applications, VISAPP (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.González-Quijano, J., Abderrahim, M., Fernández, F., Bensalah, C.: A kinodynamic planning-learning algorithm for complex robot motor control. In: Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE Conference on Evolving and Adaptive Intelligent Systems (EAIS), pp. 80–83 (2012)Google Scholar