Impact of Healthcare Reform on LGBT Elders
The purpose of this chapter was to examine the impact of healthcare reform in the USA on LGBT elders, especially the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Attention is given to health disparities and coming out risk factors for LGBT elders, health systems challenges for LGBT elders, advantages and disadvantages of healthcare reform on LGBT elders, and future directions of healthcare reform in the USA. Where appropriate, discussion from an international perspective is included, especially Canada and the UK. It is not the intent of this chapter to endorse any point of view over the other or to be advisory about healthcare issues. The intent is to present multiple perspectives concerning the benefits and debates of healthcare reform on seniors, especially LGBT elders.
KeywordsHealthcare reform LGBT elders’ health LGBT health disparities
- Annual Statistical Supplement. (2011). Medicaid program description and legislative history. Retrieved February 5, 2015 from http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/statcomps/supplement/2011/medicaid.html.
- An, R., Huang, C., & Baghbabian, A. (2015). Health policy analysis. In E. Mpofu (Ed.), Community-oriented health services: Practices across disciplines (pp. 17–40). New York, NY: Springer.Google Scholar
- Ard, K. L., & Makadon, H. J. (2012). Improving the health care of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people: Understanding and eliminating health disparities. Boston: The Fenway Institute. Retrieved January 30, 2015 from www.lgbthealtheducation.org/wp-content/uploads/12-054_LGBTHealtharticle_v3_07-09-12.pdf.
- Baker, K., & Krehely, J. (2011). Changing the game: What health care reform means for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender Americans. Washington, DC: Center for American Progress. Retrieved January 29, 2015 from http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2011/03/aca_lgbt.html.
- Barua, B., & Clemens, J. (2014, June 13). Canada not a good example of universal health care. Retrieved February 10, 2015 from http://www.fraserinstitute.org/research-news/news/display.aspx?id=21499#.
- Barua, B., & Esmail, N. (2013, December 20). Seeking relief outside Canada’s borders. Retrieved February 10, 2015 from http://www.fraserinstitute.org/research-news/news/display.aspx?id=20716#.
- Beschloss, M. (2006). Our documents: 100 milestone documents from the National Archives. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Botek, A. M. (2015). For seniors, a new model to deliver “accountable care”. Retrieved February 5, 2015 from http://www.agingcare.com/Articles/accountable-care-organization-help-seniro-health-care-150489.htm.
- Brotman, S., Ryan, B., & Meyer, E. (2006). The health and social service needs of gay and lesbian elders: Final report. Montreal, Canada: McGill University School of Social Work.Google Scholar
- Chance, T. F. (2013). “Going to pieces” over LGBT health disparities: How an amended Affordable Care Act could cure the discrimination that ails the LGBT community. Journal of Health Care Law and Policy, 15(2), 375–402.Google Scholar
- Cherry, B., & Trotter Betts, V. (2005). Health policy and politics: Get involved. In B. Cherry & S. Jacobs (Eds.), Contemporary nursing: Issues, trends, and management (pp. 211–233). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Congressional Budget Office. (2012). Updated estimates for the insurance coverage provisions of the Affordable Care Act, Updated for the recent Supreme Court Decision 13. Retrieved January 30, 2015 from http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/43472-07-24-2012-CoverageEstimates.pdf.
- Feder, J. L. (2014, April 22). Ugandan health workers could become front-line enforcers of Anti-homosexuality Act. Retrieved February 9, 2015 from http://www.buzzfeed.com/lesterfeder/updated-ugandan-guidelines-could-make-health-workers-front-l#.ul51yZP3n.
- Federal Information & News Dispatch. (2015, February 5). Rep. Conyers and 44 House democrats reintroduced “The Expanded and Improved Medicare For All Act”. Retrieved February 10, 2015 from http://www.insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle/2015/05/rep-conyers-and-44-house-democrats-reintroduce-the-expanded-and-improved-medi-a-591393.html#.VNrmm8bysk.
- Feldman, J. (2010). Medical and surgical management of the transgender patient: What the primary care clinician needs to know. In H. J. Makadon, L. Mayer, J. Potter, & H. Goldhammer (Eds.), The Fenway guide to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender health. Philadelphia, PA: American College of Physicians.Google Scholar
- Fredriksen-Goldsen, K. I., Kim, H. J., Emlet, C. A., Muraco, A., Erosheva, E. A., Hoy-Ellis, C. P. et al. (2011). The aging and health report: Disparities and resilience among lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender older adults. Retrieved January 1, 2015 from http://caringandaging.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads.2011/05/Full-Report0FINAL-11-16-11.pdf.
- Friedman, G. (2013, July 31). Funding HR 676: The expanded and improved Medicare for All Act—How we can afford a national single-payer health plan. Retrieved February 10, 2015 from www.pnhp.org/sites/default/files/FundingHR676_Friedman_7.31.13.pdf.
- Greenesmith, H., Cray, A., & Baker, K. (2013, May 23). The Affordable Care Act and LGBT families: Everything you need to know. Retrieved January 23, 2015 from www.familyequality.org/_asset/5gqpft/FEC-CAP-LGBT-ACA-Families-Guide.pdf.
- Institute of Medicine. (2011, March). The health of lesbian, gay, bisexual, an transgender people: Building a foundation for better understanding. Report Brief. Washington, DC: Author.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, R. L. (2011, February 8). Elder law expert: Health care reform act a mixed bag for seniors. Retrieved February 5, 2015 from http://phys.org.news/2011-02-elder-law-expert-health-reform-html.
- Kaufman, R. (2010). Introduction to transgender identity and health. In H. J. Makadon, K. H. Mayer, J. Potter, & H. Goldhammer (Eds.), The Fenway guide to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender health. Philadelphia, PA: American College of Physicians.Google Scholar
- Library of Parliament Research. (n.d.). Retrieved February 8, 2015 from www.parl.gc.ca/information/library/PRBpublis/944-e.htm.
- Mule, N. J. (2007). Sexual orientation discrimination in health care and social service policy: A comparative analysis of Canada, the UK, and USA. In L. Badgett & J. Frank (Eds.), Sexual orientation discrimination: An international perspective (pp. 306–322). New York, NY: Routledge.Google Scholar
- National Healthcare Disparities Report. (2012). Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender populations in the 2011 National Healthcare Disparities Report (AHRQ Publication No: 12-M030). Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Available at http://www.ahrq.gov/qual/qrdr11.htmm.
- Physicians for a National Health Program. (2011). Summary: H.R. 676, The Expanded & Improved Medicare For All Act. Retrieved February 10, 2015 from http://www.pnhp.org/news/2011/february/summary-hr-676-the-expanded-improved-medicare-for-all-act.
- Rainbow Health Network. (2008). Trans rights are human rights: Canadian Human Rights Act Amendment (gender identity). Toronto: Rainbow Health Network-Trans Health Lobby Group. Retrieved February 9, 2015 from http://www.rainbowhealthnetwork.ca/files/CHRA%20Trans%20Human%20Rights%20Fact%20Sheet.doc.
- Rosenthal, J. (2009, July 27). LGBT issues in health reform: Issues brief on making health reform work for all Americans. Retrieved February 9, 2015 from https://cdn.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/issues/2009/07/pdf/lgbthealth.pdf.
- Ruble, M. W., & Forstein, M. (2008). Mental health, epidemiology, assessment, and treatment. In H. J. Makadon, K. H. Mayer, J. Potter, & H. Goldhammer (Eds.), The Fenway guide to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender health (pp. 187–208). Philadelphia: ACP.Google Scholar
- SAGE Matters. (2009). How will the Obama administration affect the issues facing LGBT elders? SAGE matters: The source for news on LGBT aging. New York, NY: Author.Google Scholar
- SAGE. (2012). SAGE health reform issues. Retrieved January 20, 2015 from http://www.sageusa.org/issues/reform.cfm?&print=1.
- SAGE. (2014, May). LGBT older adults, HIV and the Affordable Care Act. New York, NY: Author. Retrieved January 31, 2015 from www.lgbtagingcenter.org/resources/pdfs/SAGEIssuesBrief-HIVACAandLGBTOlderPeoplke-May2014.pdf.
- Saul, M. (2009, August 23). Expensive without the results: Health care in the U.S. Costs the most, not the best in the world. New York Daily News. Retrieved January 29, 2015 from http://aticles.nydailynew.com/2009-08-23/news/17930526_1_health-care-universal-coverage-primary-care.
- World Health Organization. (2012). Global health sector strategy on HIV/AIDS 2011-2015. Available at www.who.int/hiv/pub/hiv_stragegy/en/.