Value-Based Migration of Legacy Data Structures
The maintenance and evolution of legacy applications and legacy data structures poses a significant challenge for many organizations that rely on large-scale information systems, e.g. in the financial services domain: Not only is the budget for modernizations that add more technical stability and flexibility than business functionality often slim, but it is also difficult to understand and design the best migration strategies for a large and organically grown system landscape. We report on the experiences from a migration project at a large bank that pursued a value-based approach, in which migration efforts were first focused on a small set of business processes that were identified as most crucial for the enterprise. The migration strategies developed and validated in this pilot phase could later be successfully applied to the larger system landscape.
KeywordsValue orientation legacy systems migration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Book, M., Grapenthin, S., Gruhn, V.: Seeing the forest and the trees: Focusing team interaction on value and effort drivers. In: Proc. 20th Intl. Symp. Foundations of Software Engineering (FSE-20) New Ideas Track, art. no. 30. ACM (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Brodie, M., Stonebraker, M.: Migrating legacy systems. Morgan Kaufmann (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Liem, I., Schatten, A., Wahyudin, D.: Data integration: An experience of information system migration. In: Proceedings of the 8th Intl. Conf. Information Integration, Web Applications and Services (IIWAS 2006), Österreichische Computer Gesellschaft, vol. 214 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Bocciarelli, P., D’Ambrogio, A.: A BPMN extension for modeling non-functional properties of business processes. In: Proc. 2011 Symposium on the Theory of Modeling & Simulation: DEVS Integrative M&S Symposium (TMS-DEVS 2011), pp. 160–168. Society for Computer Simulation Intl. (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Thiran, P., Hainaut, J.L.: Wrapper development for legacy data reuse. In: Proc. 8th Working Conference on Reverse Engineering (WCRE 2001), pp. 198–207. IEEE Computer Society (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Tilus, T., Koskinen, J., Ahonen, J.J., Lintinen, H., Sivula, H., Kankaanpää, I.: Software evolution strategy evaluation: Industrial case study applying value-based decision model. In: Proc. 9th Intl. Conf. Business Information Systems (BIS 2006). LNI, vol. P-85, pp. 543–557. GI e.V (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Ceccato, M., Dean, T.R., Tonella, P., Marchignoli, D.: Migrating legacy data structures based on variable overlay to Java. Journal of Software Maintenance and Evolution: Research and Practice 22(3), 211–237 (2010)Google Scholar